Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unix And Telnet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hey all,

I just completed a job where they wanted to go wireless and switch ISP. Well, I setup all the new ISP WAN info in the router (WRT54G Linksys wireless router), and set the telnet port (23) to the address of their UNIX server. They use a software called Medical Manager, and we have no problems what so ever telnetting to this server from inside the network. The problem I am having, is that it wont telnet from the WAN address. Let me make a small diagram:

Router IP: 192.168.2.1
UNIX SERVER: 192.168.2.99

The telnet port is forwarded to .99, and I even turned on DMZ to .99, still no telnet to the wan address. The WAN is pingable from any location I am at, and I have a remote connection to one station there at the office. Has anyone ever expeirienced this before?

BTW: I have updated the router to the newest firmware.

Edited by gavinseabrook, 02 May 2007 - 07:44 PM.

Gavin Seabrook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:10 PM

Perhaps the ISP blocks inbound connections to port 23.
Open a different port on the router and use Port Forwarding
to get to the server port 23. Hope that helps.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

Found out the problem. I knew I setup everything right. But their Unix server was using a default gateway of 192.168.2.255. I was like....255! what!? lol. So I changed it to the right gateway and everything is good.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users