Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Am Not Sure Where To Put This One

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MN2006

MN2006

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

I'm not sure where to put this, so if its in the wrong spot, my apologies.My dad has been getting emails in another language lately. And he does not know where they are coming from or what is going on. And getting alot of advertising emails too lately. I had this problem once with my school address, not with the foreign language ones but my email box was too full and soon I started to get emails from other people sending them to someone else but stopped at my box instead. could this be the problem or is there something else going on? I'm on my laptop right now at school so I won't be home to be able to go on his computer, maybe this weekend I'll be home but next tuesday is when I'm done with school but I can probably try to explain to him over the phone if its something easy.

Also, my laptop is kind of broken. The hinges that hold the top part to the bottom part, the one hinge on the right side, the screw deal that goes through it, one side is broken off. the other side of that hinge is fine and the left hinge is fine and my lap top is still holding together, but is this something that they can fix or not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:56 AM

The stuff about your laptop I would post in the Hardware Forum.

Could be that your father's email adress was picked up somewhere on the internet. The easiest would be to have your father take a new email adress ( Gmail) and inform all his friends that he changed email adress.

To be absolutely sure let him do the following :

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE

After that, download DrWeb-CureIt & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in SAFE MODE using the F8 method.

Scan with DrWeb-CureIt as follows:

* Double-click on drweb-cureit.exe to start the program. An "Express Scan of your PC" notice will appear.
* Under "Start the Express Scan Now", Click "OK" to start. This is a short scan that will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the Yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it.
* Once the short scan has finished, Click Options > Change settings
* Choose the "Scan tab" and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis"
* Back at the main window, click "Select drives" (a red dot will show which drives have been chosen)
* Then click the "Start/Stop Scanning" button (green arrow on the right) and the scan will start.
* When done, a message will be displayed at the bottom advising if any viruses were found.
* Click "Yes to all" if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
* When the scan has finished, look if you can see the icon next to the files found. If so, click it, then click the next icon right below and select "Move incurable".
(This will move it to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if it can't be cured)
* Next, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list.
* Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
* Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
* Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users