Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Installing Linux

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

Hi all, I've got this computer that went down, and it went down badly...

I broke the AGP slot, and so, I know must get a new Mobo, and a new Processor, and since I need two new important features of the computer, and I don't have an XP CD, I'm having to go to Ubuntu, or Fedora.

So, since this is like my first build, what do I do first?

Obviously build the computer, and make sure all the components are put in nicely. Do I just pop in the LiveCd and have it install it? oh, and what type of Partition should I make? I'm thinking of getting XP later on for gaming, so I'll need to keep some of the HDD for XP, and I'm wondering how much.

Thanks!

-JoshT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:44 AM

Well... My recommendations are as follows.

1. Create the Ubuntu partition, and a SWAP partition.
Ubuntu can boot from ReiserFS 3, or Ext 3, but other file systems are supported. Ubuntu may support booting from other file systems now.

I would recommend Ext3, Reiser4, ReiserFS 3, or XFS for Ubuntu.

Ext3 is an old, and very reliable file system. It is Ext2, with a "journal", or "log". This reduces corrupted files. Such as when a blackout occurs.

RieserFS is a journalized file system also. It advertises anti-defragmentation technology. Reiser4 is supposed to be the latest, and most stable version, and possibly the last.

XFS has features similar to the others, but it also supports "quotas". A complicated feature, that allows you to limit the size of folders, etc...

Ext3 is tried and true, but ReiserFS is the current standard.

Now partition the disk like this.

[Extended]
-> [Ubuntu] 20gb - 40gb
-> [Linux SWAP]200mb to 2048mb. * Keep the SWAP partition close to the Ubuntu partition.
[NTFS] 8gb - 20gb
[Extended]
-> [FAT32] 30gb - 200gb * MP3s, Games, Videos, etc. Stuff you want access to from both Ubuntu, and Windows XP.
[Unformatted] 20gb - 200gb. * I recommend leaving some space unformatted, so you figure out how best to use it later. Such as for other Linux distributions.
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users