Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Upgrade - Computer Shuts Down During Install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trfatman

trfatman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 04:41 PM

I am attempting to upgrade from Windows 98 to XP Home. Things seem to go OK until Windows actually begins installing the new XP Upgrade files and then it shuts down the computer. When you turn the computer back on, it does its little check screen (Windows did not shut down properly) and boots back to Windows 98. I have tried turning off the Power Options, I have looked for glitches in BIOS. It just will not let me complete the Upgrade.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mobil1_oils

mobil1_oils

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

take the side off your computer and check that the heatsink and fan for the CPU isn't clogged with dust. It sounds like either disk errors or the CPU is overheating. If that fails i'd suggest backing up all your data that you need, reformatting and doing a fresh install, not an upgrade.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

Well does windows give you any error codes when installing.. And Post what kind of computer your upgrading. it could be that windows XP is too big for your computer. Does your computer meet the min requirements for windows XP. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/up...ng/sysreqs.mspx :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 trfatman

trfatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

After the 12th attempt, it finally loaded correctly this morning.

TO answer your question, no error codes were given, the computer would just shut down. The system is a custom build, just upgraded to Asus K8V-VM Moboard, Athlon 3000+ Processor, 1GB DDR PC3200. That is why we wanted to upgrade the OS from Windows 98 to XP.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:32 PM

Glad all is well :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:54 PM

Just FYI, there are error messages generated during setup - but since you've fixed it, I'm too lazy to go searching for the link that describes where they are.

I'd suggest tho' that you open up your Event Viewer and check for errors - this'll help to head off any issues that the errors in installing may have done.

Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. In the left hand pane are several categories, click on one at a time and check the messages in the right hand pane.

Edited by usasma, 04 May 2007 - 11:56 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users