Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Freezes When Using Msn Live Messenger.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fallen

Fallen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

Ok for the last month or 2 my comp started freezing every 15-20 minutes. I took it to a repair shop to get it fixed and they said they could find nothing wrong with it. And that it never froze on them. So I bring it home and hook it back up but my net was out. I decided to play a game and no problems at all. I started to think that it was my dvd rom since that had to be replaced. Well my net came back on and I signed into msn and no later then 5 minutes my comp froze. So i tested the theory and it seems when ever I surf the net with my msn on my comp freezes. The guy at the repair shop said it was probably a corrupted file.

So I pose the problem to you, how do I find the file and get it fixed? I have repaired msn, and uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. Any ideas? Btw I use Firefox, if I try to use IE in any way the comp freezes automatically, I have windows xp media edition. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:25 AM

Check the Event Viewer in the Administrative. Post the last four error messages for each category.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Fallen

Fallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:12 PM

Where is that? I don't know much about computers. lol

EDIT: Ok I think I found it, here is the application list.

Error 5/2/2007 7:49:52 PM nview_info None 1 N/A YOUR---------------
Error 5/2/2007 7:49:48 PM nview_info None 1 N/A YOUR---------------
Error 5/2/2007 7:49:46 PM nview_info None 1 N/A YOUR---------------
Error 5/2/2007 7:49:46 PM nview_info None 1 N/A YOUR---------------

This is nothing under security but success audit, under system are these:

Error 4/26/2007 4:27:45 PM W32Time None 17 N/A YOUR------
Error 4/26/2007 5:34:26 PM Dhcp None 1000 N/A YOUR-------
Error 4/26/2007 5:29:08 PM W32Time None 29 N/A YOUR------
Error 4/26/2007 5:29:08 PM W32Time None 17 N/A YOUR------

Theres nothing in internet explorer, or Media center.

Edited by Fallen, 03 May 2007 - 12:28 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:38 PM

On each error message right click and select Properties. Post the information about the error listed.

#5 Fallen

Fallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

Ok here we go for application:

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( nview_info ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : rundll32: Mutex Recovery Code - after 5 seconds, mutex still stuck. NView (and Mutexes) are now disabled.

The other it seems is jsut when my internet went down, talking about I lost my ip address. =)

Thanks for the help, I realized I didn't thank you in my last post. Sorry about that.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:36 PM

Don't mention it. I am just here to help. the fact you came back means I am doing my job.
NVIEW is part of Nvidia's Desktop manager.
If I were you I would download a fresh set of drivers from Nvidia and reinstall my video drivers, and see if that clears at least some of your problems up.

#7 Fallen

Fallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:42 PM

Ok downloading now. Let's hope this works, I miss my msn. lol Thanks again, will keep yaz up to date =D

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:48 PM

:thumbsup:

#9 Fallen

Fallen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

Seems to have worked perfectly, no freezing at all today. Thanks!! :thumbsup:

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

Wonderful! Keep us posted. Let us know in a week if it is still straight.

#11 crazyluna82

crazyluna82

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:53 AM

Hi! I have a similar problem as stated by the original poster except I can't even log onto the messenger. At first I thought it was the server having a problem but when I try running the messenger on another computer it was fine.

The problem I have is after logging onto the internet I try logging onto the messenger. The program will attempt to connect but it will "freeze" a few seconds after. There will be a delay for a minute and then the program will continue attempting to connect. Then I will get the "error" message where it tells that I can't log on and may try to troubleshoot the connection (I tried troubleshooting, and the connection was fine). Sometimes it will do this (as is today) but previously it will freeze the computer completely. If I don't attempt to log onto the messenger, my computer is fine and I can surf the net without a problem. This happened within the last week.

During the week, I had a problem with the computer freezing. I checked spyware and virus and found a few malicious files and removed them. That cured the problem of freezing but didn't fix the messenger problem. I tried the above recommendation with the Events Viewer but I'm not sure what I'm looking at (definitely not the same stuff as above).

I also checked the registry with a registry cleaner and defragmented - not sure what else I can do at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help and I hope this is the right place to post!

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

crazyluna82,

Please create your own topic, about your problem.
Information on how to do that, can be found here:
How To Create A Topic.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users