Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

blocking internet access

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 milspec8

milspec8

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:33 PM

I have about 20 computers running XP pro on a lan that I need to block all access to the internet execpt for one or two sights that are work related. is there an easy way to do this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:57 AM

Do you have a firewall? How is the setup there?

#3 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:28 AM

I have about 20 computers running XP pro on a lan that I need to block all access to the internet execpt for one or two sights that are work related. is there an easy way to do this

Are you the company System Administrator? If you are you then are in over your head, if your not ask the admin what steps need to be taken. Just my 2 :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:58 AM

Try iProtectYou .You can block access, limit access by time, or allow only certian sites. I run a LAN at the house for my kids and have extra computers setup for thier friends. 10 computers right now. By the way if your LAN is routed to the internet , the router should also be able to block the computer by filtering that computer's unquie local IP address while still giving them access to the LAN . If the LAN is not routed run down to Walmart and pickup the $39.99 Linksys router. Just plug it in between your internet connection (cable/DSL) and your LAN and run the software it is pretty straight forward. I perfer the software option . I restrict times and site not a total blockage. Also if you need to passively see where your employees are going try RealVNC . You see what they see without them knowing. By typing in thier local IP address. Make sure the viewer is NOT installed on thier computer or they can snoop on others.
Take BEAR's words to heart. If you are not the System Administrator LEAVE IT ALONE !!! Unless you are in the mood for a job change. If you get someone to set it up for you learn how to change the Admin passwords to limit who has access. And change them when ever the system is modified.

**************************DISCLAIMER*******************************

I AM NOT AN EXPERT. I am only passing on what works for me. Have fun . You can do this.

acklan

Edited by acklan, 22 January 2005 - 08:16 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users