Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk Utility

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 c_lopes

c_lopes

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

when i booted up this morning, my computer running windows xp professional, the chkdsk utility did its auto chk thing and i didn't hit any key to stop it when i was prompted. i figured that it must have auto started for a reason. i stepped away from my computer to give it time to do its thing and when i returned an hour later it was still going through the 3 phases. I sat to watch it and it just continued to run over and over again ending with a positive outcome.

So i shut the computer down manually, and then pressed the button again to start it back up. This time i hit any key when prompted by the chkdsk utility to stop it before it starts and it avoided the continuous running of the utility. i went to the event viewer and read in the system logs something about the ntfs file structure being corrupted.

i next went to cmd prompt to run the chkdsk utility with the /f switch in hopes of repairing this problem. An error message 'chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process..........' is the response.

the last thing i did was reboot to see if by some chance it would start o.k. and of course the first of the 3 phases of chkdsk started running and never stopped. It just keeps going through the phases continuously.

do you know what the next steps would be to solving this problem? :thumbsup:

thanks~!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mobil1_oils

mobil1_oils

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:08 PM

Run all 5 stages of chkdsk. Open up the command line (start>run>cmd) then type chkdsk /r, it will tell you it cannot be locked because its in use, then hit y and enter for it to run at next reboot. When you reboot it will run all 5 stages, it will take a few hours to complete, and let it run right to the end, so i'd suggest doing it before you go to bed. That will scan and attempt to recover and repair any bad sectors on the disk.

#3 c_lopes

c_lopes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

thank you mobil1_oils, i will try this now and let you know the outcome tomorrow. i had already tried the exact steps except i used the /f switch. when i did hit 'y' at the prompt and rebooted, it didn't do anything different. it still loaded the 3 stage chkdsk and kept repeating them. hopefully the /r switch is what i need.

thanx again........

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:52 PM

I use both the /f and /r switches when I run chkdsk (a force of habit from long ago).

Unfortunately, if it doesn't stop the chkdsk from running - then there's an issue with the "dirty" bit being set on your hard drive. I say unfortunately because there's no published fix (although I imagine with enough knowledge you could locate the bit(s) on the hard drive and change it with a disk editor). So, the only "fix" is to format the hard drive and start over from scratch.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users