Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 extreamskier

extreamskier

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, my comp kept coming up saying critically low disc space on the hard-drive so i deleted some stuff to free space then within a day the message was back. its got worse and worse soi that no - everytime i check the amount of free space on the c: drive, the number is different - its getting closer and closer to 0 though. does anyone know whats wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:27 PM

Sounds suspiciously like worm activity to me, when was the last time you ran a virus scan? Are you running any P2P software like Kazaa or Lime Wire?
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 extreamskier

extreamskier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

Yeah, i got antivir and spybot and ad-aware and i ran all the checks and they came up clean. i dont really use P2P stuff - and not at all recently. worm you say - do i need a special program to detect that?

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:06 PM

Please run the F-Secure Online Scanner
Note: This Scanner is for Internet Explorer Only!
Follow the Instruction here for installation.
Accept the License Agreement.
Once the ActiveX installs,Click Full System Scan
Once the download completes, the scan will begin automatically.
The scan will take some time to finish, so please be patient.
When the scan completes, click the Automatic cleaning (recommended) button.
Click the Show Report button and Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
  • Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

#5 Lil Bastard

Lil Bastard

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:13 PM

This happened on one of our networked PC's. We found that it had to do with System Restore. We turned it off and then back on again and everything was fine.

Be sure to turn System Restore off, when you run the virus scan. they like to hide out in there.

#6 extreamskier

extreamskier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:26 PM

Thanks a lot for your replies. bad news all round though - i cant do the online virus scan as it says i 'do not have the rights' to use the ActiveX control which i cant figure out how to put right. also i cant download the virus scanner you suggested - when the download box comes up i get an error message saying 'windows could not open the internet sight' find the wedsite.

Thanks for the system restore tip - tried it but i wish i didnt becasue i cant turn it back on becasue my memory has gone down to 0 bytes (even though i found another 500Mb to delete).

i'll keep trying with the anti-virus stuff....

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:32 AM

You need to find out what is taking up all the space on your hard drive. Just surfing the web for a few hours can build up several 100MB of temp files. Do you have a lot of music or photos on there that you could move to another drive or transfer to CD? You could try doing a search on your hard drive for files created in the past 2 days to find out what is being added.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:39 PM

In addition to searching for what's taking up the space (that'll give us an idea if it's a malfunctioning program, a normal process that need to be reset, or a piece of malware) - you can also try these free online scanners:

http://safety.live.com (requires IE)

http://housecall.trendmicro.com (try this with Firefox (free from here: http://www.mozilla.com)) - it may trick it into working.

Finally, I like ClamWin Portable (free, of course! :thumbsup: since you can run it from a flash drive. Download it on another computer and install it to your flash drive - then run it on your system. Here's the link: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 extreamskier

extreamskier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:14 AM

Thanks everyone that replied. sadly my comp is too screwed to do anything - i'm taking it to the doctor.

cheers though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users