Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another 99% Svchost.exe But

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goaliewb

goaliewb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

History:

Had Zonelarm Suite trial, trial ran out so installed Avira (left ZA for the firewall). Right away Avira found what it thought was a worm in a .dll, so tried repair=wouldn't , tried quarantine=no, so finally had to rename, but i didn;t write down the .dll. So I look and my internet/network has a problem (and cannot connect/renew IP). PC very slow, svchost.exe is at 99%. Sound is working but if you try to adjust the volume in windows (or try to play winamp,etc) it says to install a soundcard (it is an onboard soundcard SMAX). Network is onboard (Marvell Yukon). So i uninstall Zonealarm, so i can install just the firewall, but problem still there (and of course zonealarm won't install because it never uninstalls). So i take out the Avira too since it seemed to start it. Problem still there of course. HAve run Adaware (fairly up to date = few days) and Sophos Antivirus (not updated), Spyhunter (updated few days ago), XoftSpy (few days updated), and that's all i had. Have disabled and re-enabled network card to no effect.
So the big starting problem is NO INTERNET, so i can not scan anything. Nor can i send any output anywhere to see what is wrong. Everything has to be done manually. I will try ProcessExplorer tonight (i RAR'ed it onto 2 disks) to see what is running in svchost.exe . Any more ideas? Thank you!

Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:00 AM

Seems to me that with zonealarm and Avira running at the same time, there is a conflict. I understand you left ZA for the firewall, but it still has the AV inside.. Uninstall ZA and then run another scan.

#3 goaliewb

goaliewb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:03 AM

Zonealarm was already removed, and so is Avira. Still no internet.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

Most Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings due to the installation of a networking software or Malware infestation.

If your using Windows XP SP2, log on as an administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
Press OK or Hit ENTER.
A dos Window will appear. Type or copy/paste the following: netsh winsock reset
Hit ENTER.
When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Close the command box and reboot your computer.

#5 goaliewb

goaliewb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

Fozzie you fixed the whole thing! Thanks alot! That one command worked for everything. Now to go scan and make sure nothing is hiding in my computer hehe! Thanks again!
Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users