Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have New Widescreen Monitor, Need 1440x900 Resolution Card

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dlplaia

dlplaia

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:10 AM

I have a 2001 Dell Dimension 4400 computer with a RAGE 128 PRO Ultra GL AGP graphics card. I just bought a new Acer 19" widescreen monitor and now need to set resolution to 1440 x 900. The Rage card doesn't have this option. Are there drivers available that will make my card support that resolution or will I have to purchase a new graphics card?

And if so, what card will fit my machine and not cause any conflict?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phetro

Phetro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

I hate to say it, but no. Those cards were made before widescreen monitors existed, and the latest driver for them is five years old. Unless you've upgraded your motherboard somewhat recently, chances are a newer video card that would support widescreen resolutions wouldn't fit the AGP slot (modern cards are 8x, and will not fit into the older AGP slots, which are smaller.

So you'll probably need a new motherboard and video card. What's worse is that the motherboards with 8x AGP slots (or the far better PCI-Express slots) won't support the processors and older RAM DIMMs from the old motherboards (again, they just won't fit).

With all that in mind, you're looking at a new motherboard, processor, video card, and RAM, and most likely a new power supply to support the more modern components...you would be best served, finances allowing, by a completely new system, OR by running the monitor in a non-widescreen resolution (I have a Samsung widescreen at work and an LG at home, and they can both do this (I run them both at 1024x768 normally and adjust the home monitor for gaming as necessary), so I'm assuming all monitors can adjust themselves to work at standard 4:3 resolutions, but I'm not sure about this, and have never had an Acer monitor either).

Oh, and I would suggest avoiding Dell like the plague. For that matter, avoid any and all store-bought PCs like the plague--go with a custom-built PC, which will have much better components at a not-much-higher-if-at-all prices.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:41 PM

Currently available at popular online retailer. Stats taken from ATI/AMD web site

GPU/VPU RADEON 9250

Pixel Pipelines 4

Maximum Analog Resolution 2048 x 1536

Video Memory 256MB

Memory Type DDR

Memory Bandwidth 6.4GB/sec.

Interface Type AGP

Interface Speed 2X/4X

Connector(s) DVI
TV/S-Video
VGA (15-Pin D-Sub)

*16:9 aspect ratio monitors are supported on 1920x1080 and 848x480 on Microsoft® Windows® XP, Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and Microsoft® Windows® Me. The complete list of resolutions depends on the driver version and operating system. NOTE: resolutions are limited by the performance of the attached monitor. DVI-I monitors will be limited to 1600x1200.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

If Nvidia is your Flavor the 7600Gt is available in AGP 4x and supports wide screen too.

Edit: I am not totally sure on the Nvidia card. The online retailer said AGP 4x for the 7600GT but the Nvidia website doesn't list AGP 4x but they also don't list the GT specifically.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 02 May 2007 - 03:50 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Phetro

Phetro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:53 AM

Excellent--I haven't seen an AGP card less than 8x for probably over a year now. Now that I think about it, there are probably lots of online dealers that still have them, even if local stores don't.

#6 dlplaia

dlplaia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:11 PM

Sneakycyber, thanks for the advice. I checked on that card...which put me on the trail to other AGP cards that are available.

Debbie

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:34 PM

:thumbsup: Glad I could help
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer