Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hackers Set Traps On Broad Websites

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

"Ordinary websites are fast-becoming a top security threat for PC users. Tainted Web pages first appeared in late 2005. Now, they're turning up as Google advertising links, on Wikipedia and elsewhere, "from top-tier names to mom and pop bakery shops...Cybercrooks are corrupting Web pages by the tens of thousands. By tapping holes in the Internet Explorer browser, they implant tiny programs that connect the PC of anyone who simply clicks on the tainted page to a "mother ship" server, often in Russia or China. That central server collects data typed into online forms banking log-ins and shopping cart transactions, for instance. It also hijacks the captured PC into a network of compromised PCs, known as "bots," to spread spam.

In one recent sweep, security firm Cyveillance identified 50,000 corrupted pages. Websense estimates the actual number may be 10 times that..."

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:08 AM

Other than running all the normal anti-virus, etc programs, how on earth would a 'regular' computer user ever protect oneself against this kind of stuff. No wonder more and more people are running from using IE.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 IndigoRed

IndigoRed

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:57 AM

I would call this threat serious in the extreme! But also, where's the extended info? I'll be back; hopefully with links to how we can combat this plague, and what's involved, etc.

Chow 4 Now.
On a Scale of One to Ten, I Eat Lunch

Be Afraid. Be Very, Very Afraid. I could have been you!

I'm learning to help at MRU

#4 IndigoRed

IndigoRed

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:05 AM

Found a couple of articles on short notice, and what looks like an interesting tool.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...ticleId=9001649
Nice bit of technology. Google search for malware.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/27933/135/
Google warning on malware sites.

http://www.tgdaily.com/index.php/content/view/26539
Interesting article on Scandoo. A malware scanning overlay for Google, Yahoo, and MSN.

http://www.scandoo.com/
And the link to Scandoo. Don't know how effective it is, but it did say there was critters on Kazaa. ( The only buggy site I could think of straight away...)

Hopes this starts to add some knowledge... :thumbsup:
On a Scale of One to Ten, I Eat Lunch

Be Afraid. Be Very, Very Afraid. I could have been you!

I'm learning to help at MRU

#5 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:19 AM

"Steve Gibson of grc.com and Leo Laporte talk with Marc Maiffret,founder of eEye Digital Security of Aliso Viejo,California.eEye has perhaps done more forensic and vulnerability testing research to increase the remote security of Windows than any other group,including Microsoft.They continue to find and report an amazing number of Windows security vulnerabilities." High Quality (64 kbps) mp3 audio file URL: http://media.GRC.com/sn/SN-091.mp3 Quarter size(16 kbps) mp3 audio file URL: http://media.GRC.com/sn/SN-091-lq.mp3

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:34 AM

So anyway, this is something that has been going on for a few years now... interesting how a Google study suddenly puts everyone in a panic. There is no single tool to combat any of this other than the tool between your ears. Keep your operating system patched. Use an anti-virus/anti-spyware. Set your browser security levels to high. If you run IE, don't juts simply allow every ActiveX control to run. Don't allow the browser to download applications. If you use Firefox, disable Javascript (except for trusted sites). Keep your operating system patched.

The Internet is a tool, and like any tool, one needs to take the proper precautions to protect themselves; one can't just depend on a tool or two to protect them, and it is unrealistic to expect so. There is no piece of software (yet) that will prevent you from driving your vehicle into the back of another, so we take the time to learn how to use our automobiles. Why should Internet usage be any different? :thumbsup:

#7 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:29 PM

And to think my parents didnt think firefox was any better ie this is wy i dont trust ie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users