Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell To Offer Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

Dell To Offer Ubuntu

LONDON, 1st May 2007 - Canonical and Dell are pleased to announce a partnership to offer Ubuntu 7.04 on select desktop and notebook products. This is a tremendous step forward for Ubuntu, our users and customers.

More about the announcement is available on the Dell website, including a video interview with Ubuntu's founder Mark Shuttleworth.

We believe that Dellís decision is a strong endorsement of Ubuntu and to the work of many in coding, translating and promoting open source software. It is also testament to the demand that exists for Ubuntu.

Canonical is honoured to play a leading role in making Linux more widely available to everyone.

Jane Silber
Canonical Ė Director of Operations

good news :thumbsup: deserved being posted.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:23 PM

Yes. Very good news.

Only if two machines exactly the same except for the O/S are different in price. Ubuntu better be less than an XP machine with the exact same hardware.

#3 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:30 PM

There is the added cost of support for Ubuntu. I'm not so sure the price should be too different, to start with.

I read an article somewhere. that mentioned Dell not liking Vista. Perhaps putting Ubuntu on a few computers is some kind of retaliation?

O' how the might have fallen.
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:37 PM

There should be good price difference. Windows Vista Home Basic Upgrade costs $99.

That's an upgrade version alone! Usually the "OEM version" is slightly more.

#5 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:09 AM

I think your talking about the double-cost full retail. The OEM version is a lot LESS.
http://www.google.com/products?q=Windows+O...xt&start=30

Microsoft charges for the box, and for support. If Dell provides the support, and does not ship a box, or CD, then the OEM version can be had for as little as $20 to $40, plus the price of the computer.

Do you really think Dell would pay MORE for Windows, than the $99 version??? They already bought how many copies of XP?

Which they are starting to install on new computers again, or so I've read.

Edited by Monster_user, 02 May 2007 - 01:19 AM.

The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:14 AM

I didn't realize you can buy an OEM version. I thought OEM was only for manufacturers (ie: Dell, HP, Gateway etc...)

Anyways I was never aware of the price of an OEM copy. I thought it would be as much as a retail full version.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:09 PM

I didn't realize you can buy an OEM version. I thought OEM was only for manufacturers (ie: Dell, HP, Gateway etc...)

Anyways I was never aware of the price of an OEM copy. I thought it would be as much as a retail full version.

Yeah you can buy an OEM version just like you can Buy college football Student seats on EBay. you always really buy a inkpen or IDE cable or some small Item.

Yeah but at leas its good that Linux is getting released on another major manufacturer (HP also offers a Linux alternative for Windows last I heard)

Posted Image

#8 tacm

tacm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:18 PM

WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The day that Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, Is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

#9 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

well i know what MY next computer will be in a year :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users