Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Unhidden File

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frosty55

frosty55

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

So I have this folder "D:\Documents and Settings\(my name)\Application Data", problem is only programs can see it for some reason i.e. bittorent, ares, various games, etc. When i search it windows comes up blank, and when I go into the folder where it's supposed to be it's not there. Now i checked the properties of the folder and it should not be hidden, so why is it that i can't find this bloody folder?

Frosty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

As I recall, this is a System and a Hidden folder (don't have my copy of XP running on this system). You'll have to check the box to allow viewing both Hidden and System files in order to view it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

Hi frosty55, :thumbsup: to BC

The Application Data folder is not a system folder per se, but is merely a hidden one. System folders are hidden a bit deeper than a simple hidden folder is. Like usasma says though, to find the folder in Windows search you do have to click on the More Advanced Options menu in the search frame and put a check mark in the Search Hidden Files and Folders option before Windows search will find it for you.

If you wish to navigate to the folder manually you must first go to the Tools menu in any window and click on Folder Options in the drop down menu. On the Folder Options window select the View tab and in the Hidden Files and Folders section select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Click OK and you will then be able to see the Application Data folder.

Remember to go back and check Do Not Show Hidden Files and Folders when you are done, unless of course you prefer to have the hidden files and folders showing.

Edited by Ronbo, 01 May 2007 - 08:44 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 frosty55

frosty55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:17 PM

Sweet, Problem solved.

Thx guys.

Frosty

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:33 AM

Thanks Ronbo!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Jorin

Jorin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

I am having the same problem, but changing the options in the view files isn't making a difference. I did activate Encryption on my system with full security certificates, etc, which is what I think caused the problem... I have also changed the registry entry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ShowSuperHidden but that didn't help either.

Any suggestions? For encryption, I followed the directions at http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/win.../xpencrypt1.htm and the pages that follow...

Help... please.

Thanks!
Jorin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users