Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 appolloww

appolloww

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:09 PM

Hello,
I have an HP Pavilion524w with a1.73 gigahertz AMD Athelon XP processor, 60 gigabytes hard drive with 35 gigabytes of free space, & 352 Megabytes installed memory. This info is provided by the program Belarc Advisor. If you need more, please let me know.
My problem; I'm on Broadband supplied by my cable supplier, Mediacom. When I click on the Internet, a program,e-mail, etc, the computer would react instantly in bringing it up. However, for the last couple of weeks it takes a very long time to bring up anything, sometimes as long as 7 minutes, on average much slower than dialup. To correct this problem, I bought & installed a program from Uniblue called SpeedUpMyPC. When first installed, it indicated my "optimization level" was at very low. After running the program, it jumped up to medium. However, it did not speed up the computer to its normal operating speed at all. It remained the same. Can you help me find the problem??
Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

You can start by reviewing the steps suggested in this pinned topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Since it appears that you are having problems launching applications off-line, it would appear that these are not related directly to your internet connexion.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:02 PM

Windows XP suffers from "bloat" as it ages. It's the additional stuff that's installed as you surf the web and try out programs. It's cure is the steps that jgweed suggested.

Sometimes wiping the computer clean and starting over will give you a temporary boost in speed - but it won't last for long.

Since you only have 352 mB of RAM, I'd suggest that a RAM upgrade would be advisable. XP works OK with 512 mB of RAM, but anything less will handicap your performance severely. I recommend 1 gB of RAM as it will let you worry less about what's taking up the memory than will 512 mB.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users