Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One More Question About Linux

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 repairman

repairman

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:44 PM

Can I still do HTML, Javascript and other languages on linux.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:21 PM

C, or C++ might be a little difficult. Linux has similar languages, such as gcc, or g++. There are a few differences, but they are mostly the same.

HTML, and JAVA were designed to be able to be used across platforms. So whether it is MacOS, Windows, Linux, Unix, IBM O/S 2, BeOS, NeXt, or any one of a dozen operating systems, the answer is yes.
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

You can program equaly well in any language, as long as the application is compiled on the target machine.

Gcc is the Gnu compiler collection; g++ is a specialized implementation of gcc... they are not a language. Also Javascript is not the same thing as Java. Javascript is a scripting language, and Java is a full blown language. HTML and Javascript are run in a browser session which doesn't care what system it is running on.

#4 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

I stand corrected.

I've corrected people enough times on this board. I guess it was my turn.

Would the GNU compiler be a C compiler? There seems to be some differences between Windows C, and the GNU equivalent.

I didn't realize that there were two JAVAs. Java, and Javascript. I've always refered to Javascript as Java. I have no idea what the difference is.
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

I guess it was my turn.

Heh.. I get corrected plenty in a day. I take it as a sign that I am pushing the limits of my brain. :thumbsup:
According to the GCC website, The GNU Compiler Collection includes front ends for C, C++, Objective-C, Fortran, Java, and Ada, as well as libraries for these languages (libstdc++, libgcj,...).

I didn't know it had Java front ends. Or Fortran and Ada, for that matter. Anyway, compilers differ from paltform to platform, as well as within platforms also. Microsoft's compiler is different than Bloodshed, etc.

Javascript is for including scripting options within a webpage; ie, to make it more dynamic. Java is a full, Object Oriented Programming language derived from C and C++ that hides some of the lower level functions present in C and C++. Javascript was created by Netscape (I think), and Java was created by Sun Microsystems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users