Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery (d)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Learninlady

Learninlady

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:37 PM

Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic
- AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ (2.2GHz / 512KB L2 cache)
- 1024MB DDR2-533MHz(2x512)
- 160GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
- 48x max. CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive (48x32x16x48x)

Ive had my new computer for about a week. Im not very happy with most of this experience. One thing I'd like to know is now that I have my system recovery cds. Do I have to leave that information on my D drive.
Im not seeing any reason that I cant delete that info since I have it on cd.

Ive tried to shrink the recovery drive and that didnt work.
Ive gone the the tutorials of the low disk error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

Recovery CD's got lost or damaged. I've seen it happen too often.

I'd leave it be as is now. You've a 160GB HD, that recovery is really just a small part of the whole.

Edited by KoanYorel, 01 May 2007 - 04:50 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Learninlady

Learninlady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:14 PM

From what my computer is telling me I have 857MB left on the the D drive.
Ive had nothing but problems since I got this... Ive been working with HP and have gone thru quite a few hoops. and nothing seems to work.
I do understand about lost disc. but Im not worried about that. Ive been pretty good about keeping them around. (notice I dont dare say 'I never loose them"...lol..
Im more worried about just cleaning that thing out.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:01 PM

The recovery partition on your hard drive should not be the cause of any major problems, and having a backup handy on your computer should give you an extra sense of security (especially if your cat is attracted to shiney objects). The recovery portion of your used space is certainly not large enough to be a cause for concern.
Perhaps if you could outline for us the kinds of problems you are experiencing with your new computer, it would help our Members to understand their cause.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Learninlady

Learninlady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

Well my first was that I couldn't do a back up due to the lack of space on my drive.
I then did a test and found I only had around 17% space left.
I guess whats setting a knot in my drawers is that its brand new and I expected that Id have more free space than I had on my old computer. And when I go to 'fix' it I'm asked to buy more memory.

This was my last test on this my new computer:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=PDHHHWJFL9WS114W

And this was my old computer that I had slllaaammed with tons and tons of unnecessary junk! :
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=DR7ZFWZW8TWSFF4W

But comparing scores seems like Id been smarter to just get more memory on my old one!
maybe I'm being too sensitive but seems like a new machine would have more space before I even add anything.
But if there were files that I was able to delete off of D and still be safe to run this machine Id feel better starting out with more area to work with.
I also thought if I could rid myself of that then I could do a back up and start from there for recovery, as Ive already done quite a bit of work to delete files of programs that I didn't want nor need.

Edited by jgweed, 01 May 2007 - 06:57 PM.

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:06 PM

Hey Learninlady -

I believe you may be overreacting to what isn't an issue, the way I see it.

Going to your PCPitstop link, I find:

Description Drive C Drive D
Partition format NTFS NTFS
Cluster size 4 KB 4 KB
Drive label HP Recovery
Size 145758 MB 6866 MB
Free space 112914 MB (77%) 857 MB (12%)

So, on your primary HD drive C:, you have almost 113Gs of free space. That's more than reasonable on a fairly new system.

Your "Recovery" drive, drive D: is a 6.8G drive, with only 857M of free space. Using less than 7G of a 160G drive for the Recovery drive is also very reasonable - in that 7Gs is the 20-30Gs of original OS and programs that were on your system when you first got it, in a highly compressed format.

I would not worry about that 7G recovery partition at all. There are ways to delete it, and even add it to your main partition, but for the majority of us folks, it may not be worth the effort for the majority of users. If you ever get to where you could use that 7G, you probably need a bigger, or second, HD anyway.

Question - when you tried to backup, and got that "lack of space" message, how and where were you trying to backup?

Edited by JohnWho, 01 May 2007 - 07:11 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:08 PM

If I am interpreting the data correctly at the link you provided, the recovery partition is 86 percent full (which is not a problem, since you will not be writing files to it), and your C: drive is is only 23 percent full.
If I am incorrect, let me know.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

Just a bit more - you'll need the free space on the recovery partition (D drive) if you restore from it. The system will need the free space to do it's "thing" while restoring. Normally we recommend at least 15% free space on a drive - so 12% is reasonable.

Were you trying to backup to the D: drive? If so, I'd recommend against that. Not only is the free space needed there, but should the drive crash there's no assurance of your data remaining intact. External USB drives are rather cheap these days (as are CD's) and I'd suggest using them for backups as they won't be affected by any drive problems that may occur. But since you've got about 8 times as much hard drive space on your new hard drive as you had on your old one - I'd think you'd have plenty of space to do whatever you need.

You can always shrink the C: partition and create another partition in the unallocated space also.

While you might be able to use more memory - you've got Vista Basic which (IMO) doesn't require as much RAM as the fancier versions of Vista. I have a laptop with Vista Ultimate (and a bunch of tweaks) that works Just fine with only 1 gB of RAM. I've got 2 other cheap laptops with Vista Home Basic that work just fine with the standard amount of RAM that they came with.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users