Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Co-existence Of Firewalls In Winxp?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 r_w_l

r_w_l

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

I'm currently running the Norton Internet Security firewall (as well as the rest of the Internet Security software). I've seen several strong recommendations for the Zone Alarm firewall. Can you run both firewalls simultaneously without creating any problems? If so, is it advantageous to do so? Or is Zone Alarm all by itself what I should use?

If you'd also like to tell me how good (or how bad) the Norton firewall is, I'm paying attention. It didn't prevent an adware problem in my system, so my trust in it has gone way down.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

Only use one of the firewalls as they tend to conflict with each other. Many here rave the Zone alarm. I use Comodo ( I feel it is the best) and have not ever used the Norton. Others I'm sure will comment on ZA and Norton.
Good Luck
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

If you'd also like to tell me how good (or how bad) the Norton firewall is, I'm paying attention. It didn't prevent an adware problem in my system, so my trust in it has gone way down.

The firewall's primary function is to control communication from and to a computer or group of computers. Communication between two machines over the Internet is a stream of packets sent in both directions. The firewall examines all packets that are about to be routed through the computer and, based on a set of rules, determine if the packet is allowed to pass through the computer or not. This function does not have anything whatsoever to do with anti-malware activity. That is the function of other types of software specifically designed to combat adware. The main purpose of a firewall is to prevent intrusions to your computer not necessarily adware. So your loss of faith is unfounded based on your criteria of it did not prevent adware.

A firewall has other functions as well, but those do not relate to anti-malware functions either. And it is not necessary to discuss those at this time either. You can google about firewalls for more information if you wish.

Hope this clears up what the purpose and primary function of a software firewall is.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

Having two firewalls does not increase any protection, and generally produce serious system conflicts as each examines and processes packets. To be honest, most firewalls differ only in their ease of use and reporting, not in their basic functionality, and your choice of which one to use should be based on that.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users