Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Boot Failure/recovery Failure

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 DarkLiter

DarkLiter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

My mom's PC didnt want to start up earlier today, so i looked up what may have caused it, and i came across a page that said that a boot failure along with beeping (which it was doing) could be the RAM, and just re-set it, so i did and it booted fine, it got to the desktop and shutdown and said the /system32/config file was missing or corrupt, i attempted to do a standard PC recovery and i got:

\minint\system32\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. Error Code 18

Im looking around online now on what to do, my mom really doesnt want to have to format her entire PC, so if there is a way to fix this without having to do so, would be great...if its the only option, ill do the format.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

Try booting from your XP CD into the recovery console and run the system file checker (sfc /scannow).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:08 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123#

This is a device driver error - Depending on the type of recovery that you did, there may be a new device attached to the computer that isn't being recognized. Try disconnecting all external devices and try the recovery again.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

well, i left the PC alone for about a day, waiting on the recovery discs from tech support to come in, i did the recovery, it started up just fine, my mom had been putting all the necessary stuff back on, anti virus, windows updates, and was going about putting what she wanted back on...and it crashed...

Windows\System32\Config\System Missing or Corrupt

Tried to run the recovery again:

\minint\system32\ntkrnlmp.exe missing or corrupt
error code is 18

tried to boot the OS by using the F8 command get

<Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll

Cant boot up the Recovery Console, wont boot the PC recovery...losing my mind lol. I'm beginning to think that it might just be Hard drive failure. I think i'll just have her send off for a new hard drive. It's crazy cause my hard drive has twice...once on a compaq, once on a dell (the one i currently have) and my mom has a compaq...and her hdd is/has failed...anyone else see a pattern? HP might be getting a new customer lol. Thanks for all the help

#5 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

Okay, new problem lol. Attempted to do the recovery again so i could get onto the desktop to preform a chkdsk...well, i got a BSoD before the recovery finished.

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA

please check previously installed blah blah blah

STOP: 0x00000050 (0x980272EC, 0x00000000, 0x804210D7, 0x00000000)"

and i attempted to restart and got a continuous beeping sound: Beep *wait 4 secs* Beep *wait 4 secs* Beep and it wont boot up, just told her to leave it alone. I still think its the hard drive, but if someone could tell me what the STOP message is tellin me that'd be great.

OH! i also did a SMART test in the F1 Setup early early today on the hard disk, the extended 1 hour one lol, and it found no errors...thought i'd add that bit of info.

Thanks to all.
DarkLiter

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:38 PM

BIOS beep codes
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:51 AM

Presuming that the SMART test was fine, try this free memory tester: http://www.memtest86.com/

Follow the directions exactly and let the test run for at least 2 or 3 passes (overnight is better). Any errors mean that there's a problem with the memory (usually with the RAM itself).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:58 PM

the BIOS beep says its possibly bad memory, thanks for that BIOS beep page. I called and tried to get the RAM, they screwed up the S/N when we paid for a 1 year warranty, and now i have to wait for a case manager to call to fix it before i can get the replacement RAM...yay >=| idiots at the tech support, i swear...get some people who speak and understand english GOOD...*rolls eyes*

Thanks to all.
DarkLiter

#9 notyourtechsupport

notyourtechsupport

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

...get some people who speak and understand english GOOD...*rolls eyes*

Understand english WELL, heathen :D

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:33 PM

Topic closed...inappropriate response to a topic 7 years old/dead.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users