Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yup

Yup

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

Ok. I'm trying to reformat my computer because of what was thought to be a virus... swipe everything off of it and reinstall it back to original factory condition. I went through the process with my recovery disk and the only thing it did was remove icons off of my desktop. All of the files are still on my hard drive. That is what I want to clean and remove.

During the reinstall process I get a message stating that I can't delete the main partition because there are files on there needed for the reinstallation. I thought that was why all of the information remained on my computer. Someone here told me that those files are neccessary. How can I swipe everything off of my computer and start out clean like it was when it came from the factory? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkLiter

DarkLiter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

when you go to Reformat your system, there should be an option to do a Standard System Recovery (just replaces the main components, wont delete your stuff) and a FULL system recovery or Format, you want that one.

#3 Yup

Yup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:55 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes, I did select the full system recovery and it reformatted the HD, which really is boggling my mind. Obviously either I did something wrong or the computer did.

When I start up the laptop (just now), it gives me three options:

1. Windows XP Home Edition... Loads fine, however the hard drive is still full of junk.

2. Windows XP Recovery Console... States that the recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality. It then asks me which Windows installation would I like to log onto. The only option is
1: C:\Windows. I have no idea what to do here, but it doesn't seem to be what I need anyway, so I just ignore it

3. Windows XP Setup... it never offered this until my attempt to reformat. This takes me into the reinstallation area or to the Recovery Console if I choose.) It asks for the CD when I don't have it in. When I put it in, it begins the process of reinstallation (asking me how I want to do it, ect.)

The setup asks me if I want to repair or install a fresh copy of Windows. I selected install.
Setup then takes me to the partition screen and asks me to select the partition I want to install on. There are two very small partitions (a few mb's) and then the main partition.

I cannot delete the main partition and then recreate it. I can only install on it. If my memory serves me right, it is here that it says it is reformatting all info. will be lost.

Then my laptop advises that I selected a partition that already has a copy of Windows, and asks to confirm that I want to install here. I do.

I am finally advised that a folder \Windows already exists and asking if I want to overwrite it, which will delete all files and my documents in there. I confirm I do.

Then begins installing windows.

#4 erfadk

erfadk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

Hi Yup..hope this can help you.
Sorry I will write it from the start.

1.Make sure that you are booting from cd-device/if not go to bios settings and changes it to boot at cd.
2.XP says...Press any key to boot from CD..._
3.XP says...Setup will now inspect your computer hardware and configuration
4.XP says...Setup now prepares your computer for install
5.XP says...From this menu press "ENTER" to begin the install
6.Now you got the blue windows xp setup screen.
Its says: Welcome to setup....This portion of the setup program prepares microsoft<R>Windows XP to run on your computer.
(a).Now you have 2 options: To setup windows xp now,press ENTER.
(:thumbsup:.to repair a windows XPinstallation using recovery consolde,press R

Press:Enter
now XP will say:Windows XP License agreement, read, and if you agree press "F8" to continue, press "ESC" if you disagree. If you disagree setup will finish.

Press:F8
Now XP says. If one of the following windows XP installations is damaged,Setup can try to repair it.Use the up and down arrow keys to select an installation.
(a).To repair the selected windows XP installation,press R.
(:flowers:.To continue installing a fresh copy of windows XP without repairing,press ESC.

Press ESC

Now you will see a blue screen who says: The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.Use the UP and DOWN ARROW Keys to select an item in the list.
(a).To set up windows XP on the selected item,press ENTER.
(:trumpet:.To create a partition in the unpartitioned space,press C.
©.To delete the selected partition,Press D.

Now you should select D. windows XP should format your drive letter C:
Now you have to confirm that.
After confirm...windows XP is format...drive C:
After format...C: select the same partition to install win XP on.

If you cant do that,then select:
1.continue installing a fresh copy of windows XP without repairing,press ESC
after that:
2.set up windows XP on the selected item(select the c: drive letter),press ENTER
Now you should have the options to reinstall a new fresh windows copy.

#5 Yup

Yup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:26 AM

erfadk, thanks for the post!!

Unfortunately, when I get to the "press D to delete the partition", I receive a message advising that I cannot delete the partition because there are files on it needed for the installation of Windows.

So I select to install Windows on it, and it leads me back to the same problem... all info. is still on the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users