Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro, Will Ms Go For It?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:47 AM

Scenario:

New build

Purchased MS XP Pro OEM version locally on Craigslist

In my drunken stupor, I through away the product certification code..............yeah it's true.........

Attempting to load OS into my new build, of couse MS wants this code to continue loading....

Mind you, not a pirated version of it, I have the CD and useless instruction loading manual

Does anyone know how and where to contact MS to get this code? Or should I just go out and buy another MS system?????

:thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

I'd contact the seller to see if they've got it installed on a computer - then you can use Magical JellyBean KeyFinder to get it off. But that brings up problems with the EULA - since you can't have it installed on 2 machines.

Short of an extended period of dumpster diving to find the key, there's not much that you can do. Contacting Microsoft is the most likely remedy - but you can imagine that many folks (with less morals than you have) have already tried this with them.

Short of that, you can try purchasing a product key - but it'll have to be one that matches the type of CD that you have (OEM, Retail, SP1, SP1a, SP2, etc).

Edited by usasma, 01 May 2007 - 07:24 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:53 AM

I'd contact the seller to see if they've got it installed on a computer - then you can use Magical JellyBean KeyFinder to get it off. But that brings up problems with the EULA - since you can't have it installed on 2 machines.

Short of an extended period of dumpster diving to find the key, there's not much that you can do. Contacting Microsoft is the most likely remedy - but you can imagine that many folks (with less morals than you have) have already tried this with them.

Short of that, you can try purchasing a product key - but it'll have to be one that matches the type of CD that you have (OEM, Retail, SP1, SP1a, SP2, etc).

Hey John,

The CD is brand new, the product key was attached to the cellophane, gonna try contacting MS this am, though I don't have my hopes up too high.

Dumpster diving is out of the question, we have 1 arm bandit trash collection here, it's gone.
I'm sure that they have heard all the stories about wanting the code.

I messed up, plain and sinple.
Sad part is that I paid only 80 dollars for this O/S.......... :thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:03 AM

If this is an OEM version of Windows you cannot install it on any computer other than the one it came pre-installed on. The license agreement specifically excludes moving the OS to another machine.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users