Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 GoTwins

GoTwins

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:26 AM

Hiya, it's me again, with an another nooby question:

So I have a pretty new Dell (bought last summer, model is Inspiron E1505), and I dont really like shutting off/hibernating my laptop at night because I keep my messengers (MSN/AIM) and whatnot on overnight, but I read somewhere that leaving on your laptop overnight is bad for it? Is this true? Something to do with your hard drive getting worn out?

Some tips/facts can be nice. Haha and remember your dealing with a noob, so be gentle :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

Well,

you could try one of those Notebook cooling pads, such as this one at Newegg.

Also, if you are concerned about the HD, you can go into the "Power Options" in Control Panel and set the HD to power down after a certain number of minutes. Same with the screen, so it won't be on all night.

While all PCs should be getting their power from a UPS or Continuous Power Supply (see www.apc.com for details), those that are left unattended for long periods of time, like overnight, should also have power monitoring software that will shut them down automatically if power is off for longer than the battery backup's rating.

Notebooks will do this when the internal battery gets low, so if you keep the battery in the notebook at all times, you should be OK. However, many folks recommend that if you are running your notebook a lot on AC power, you can lengthen it's rather expensive battery life by removing it.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:44 AM

Your computer will either go into hibernation or standby after fixed period of time. You can choose which one of these that you would prefer, for your use it sounds like you would want to use hibernation which unlike standby saves a file of the information that was active at the time is goes into hibernation.

As for the hdd, if you are not using it or if it is not active with a download or update it is not spinning. Leaving your computer on is not going to damage the hdd, the computer doesn't need sleep, and electronics don't wear out. About the only down side to leaving the computer on all the time is that if there is an update the computer will have to be restarted in order for the updates to take effect. The battery in laptops is a lithium ion type which like to be recharged frequently and used regularly without allowing the battery to totally discharge, so some consideration needs to be taken into account for this when leaving the computer on all the time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:21 PM

Forgot to add some stuff:

I have an external fan, a Targus one I believe. Also, I don't have it automatically going into hibernate/stand by, because it'll log me out of my messenging programs.

I put my lid (screen) down and it shuts off my screen (completely black, kind of like turning off an external monitor).

So I should be ok correct? It's because some guy told me that it'll harm the notebook if I left it on. I usually leave it on for like 4-6 day periods and shut it down to let it rest for a while...

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

thats what I did with my dell and the hard drive only lasted 2 years. I was using my computer and it turned off and wouldn't get past the dell bios screen after that and dell said i needed a new hard drive so they sent me one and I lost everything. Try and turn it off once a day

#6 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:40 PM

Oh...damn, thats scary O_o

So you put your lid down like I did and it did that in 2 years?

And you had an external fan?

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

I didnt have the external fan but I dont think heat's the issue. I think (someone correct my if I'm mistaken) that once the memory is full the computer starts using the hard drive a lot harder, because its been on for so long, and it increases wear and tear

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:33 PM

Heat is one of the most deadly to Electronic components. A process called electromigration occurs when an IC gets too hot. Basically, when things get hot wires start moving around and short out

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

That sounds really freaky lol...

Hmm...I got like 40% of my HD open, and it'll probably be that way for a while...I wonder if I'm ok

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:38 PM

I don't know a whole lot about this option and if it is even offered on a laptop. In the BIOS there is a wake on LAN option. Maybe do a little more research on that
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

Oy, trust me, I'm probably the last one to go and mess with the BIOs and whatnot...I'll probably end up breaking something thats not broke. I'd rather just go through the hassle of shutting it down and starting it up. Thanks for your insight though.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:29 AM

Heat is one of the most deadly to Electronic components. A process called electromigration occurs when an IC gets too hot. Basically, when things get hot wires start moving around and short out

Electromigration happens on a molecular level and would be better understood in this application as thermal hysteresis. The description of this as "wires start moving around" is not accurate, the transfer of ions does happen, but the end result is a breakdown of the material. One of the considerations in designing ICs is the high temperature over life test, the information extrapolated from these can help determine the normal life expectancy of an IC in most normal applications. The over simplification of this would be...over heating bad, don't over heat. :thumbsup: This problem is directly related to the copper used in the pathways of the ICs, it will be interesting to see what will happen when these are replaced with fiber optics as they are looking to use in the near future.

This phenomenon has been around for the last hundred years but was recognized for the specific significance in ICs in 1966. As I said it has been a known factor in design and we use these ICs with great trust to send people into space or in our electronics to stop our cars safely...that would be you basic ABS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:16 AM

O_O

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:49 AM

Oy, trust me, I'm probably the last one to go and mess with the BIOs and whatnot...I'll probably end up breaking something thats not broke. I'd rather just go through the hassle of shutting it down and starting it up. Thanks for your insight though.

Actually it's exactly what you want. You computer turns on when your modem is activated.The only problems with laptops, that I found so far is if you're running off the battery, it puts a drain on it because the NIC's always on. If you make a wrong decision in the BIOS, you just change it back
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:26 AM

Thought I'd throw my 2c in.

Leaving your laptop on for a long time period and your laptop overheating are 2 seperate issues. Provided your fans are working okay and there is good airflow around the computer it should not overheat no matter how long you leave it on.

Regarding wearing out the hard drive, this could be an issue. However, some people believe that hard drives are like car engines in that most wear and tear occurs when they are initially powered on.

In my opinion, there is no reason you shouldn't leave you laptop on for long lengths of time.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users