Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jbandz

jbandz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:23 PM

Hello everyone. My name is Joe and I joined this forum because I have 2 teenage girls who have caused computer problems by going into sites that has caused our computer to be infected with spyware & viruses. I learned the hard way & have installed anti-spyware & virus programs. I hope the next time something goes wrong I can have the help & support of members to guide me through any problems. Thanks for having me on board.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:28 PM

Hello, Joe,
My name is Joe, also.
Keepin' a jump ahead of a couple teenagers is bound
to produce a sigh of relief when you come across a place like this.
*sigh*
The information is here.
Page after page.
Let us know how we can help. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:32 PM

Hi jbanz and welcome

If you have teenage girls you certainly have come to the right place. If spyware/adware and viruses are a problem you can find many knowledgable people to help you here. You might want to read this for some good information about how to protect your computer. Get your daughters to read it also. They will learn some things that will help them avoid problems and you can avoid headaches too. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:29 PM

Welcome to BC!
It is a lot lot easier to infect your computer with viruses and spyware than it is to clean it up afterwards, but you have people willing to help here.
Basic computer security and common sense is something you can teach your daughters, so you might want to require them to read a couple of the security tutorials at BC as a condition of using the family computer.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 15 January 2005 - 12:49 PM

Thank you for making BC your home away from home away from...well, you get the idea.

Even though your computer may not be new, you may find that this tutorial will be helpful.

Steps to take when connecting a new computer to the Internet
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users