Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java/java Script Disabled, Please Help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gwynne

Gwynne

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:52 PM

First off, if this is the wrong forum, could someone please direct me to the correct one? I wrote a couple of days ago that I was having trouble downloading Java. I had a very old version. It was recommended that I take the old version out then reinstall the new version, which I had had no success previously downloading.

I had a hard time as the old version wasnt in my add/remove programs but rather in my control panel. I finally was able to delete it. I also made a mistake and tried to delete instances of Java from my registry. It turns out that not only did I remove the old version of Java, but I accidentally got rid of Javascript as well.

The next thing I know, my email is not working correctly and neither are several features on my computer such as moving from page to page. One example is that on this page there is a quick reply and a reply. I can no longer use the quick reply because I dont have Javascript.

I called aol and they told me my mailbox was not working correctly because I dont have Java/Javascript. They tried to trouble shoot with me and after twenty minutes told me I needed to contact the manufactor. I contacted the manufactorer and paid money for help. I was disconnected after an hour. When I called back, I was told to pay more money. I said no way and demanded my original money back, but I am sure no one cares about that!

I have no clue how to get Java/Javascript back and working. Yes, I have gone to the Java page and downloaded it. The computer just will not take it. Can someone please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 lalada65

lalada65

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:29 PM

Hi Gwynne,

Try shutting down your computer for about 15 minutes reboot then java reinstall..... OR Try system restore to an ealier date when java was working... (Windows ME or XP OS) Start/programs/accessories/system tools/restore

#3 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:33 PM

I dont believe that I have had the correct version of Java installed in a year or more. I first noticed half a year ago when I went to play some aol games and it said I had an old version of Java. I tried on and off for half a year to fix it. Then last week, I asked advice here, ended up deleting my old Java, and I think I deleted some things I shouldnt have in the registry. I have tried all the different restore dates but they say nothing has been restored. I do not know what to do, especially after getting ripped off by the manufactor tonight when they told me they would help me and took my money.

Are you supposed to do restore in safe mode? That would explain why it didnt work. I have gone from not being able to play some aol games to not being able to do anything that requires Java/Javascript such as writing mail easily.

Edited by Gwynne, 30 April 2007 - 10:34 PM.

#4 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:44 PM

I also have a back up registry, I think, from when I had some problems. So even if I took some keys off the registry, I should be able to merge everything together. The only thing is I dont have the faintest idea how to do that.

#5 lalada65

lalada65

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:04 PM

What brand of computer? operating system? Did you make a back up disk? or do you have a XP cd

#6 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:08 PM

I have a hewlett packard. Yes, I did make a back up disk, there are about 11 of them! I wouldnt know where to begin! An XP CD? Gosh, I dont know. The operating system is an XP, I guess, if that is an operating system. I dont know a lot about computers!

Edited by Gwynne, 30 April 2007 - 11:11 PM.

#7 lalada65

lalada65

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

Yes XP is your operating system :-)..I honestly wrote the earlier reply wrong sorry..It was past my bed time... I'll be back with some info

#8 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:10 PM

Please! I am getting desperate. I think I mentioined that in frustration that I deleted some keys from the registry. I should have a back up registry as I had a trojan two months ago and the tech who helped me had me save a back up registry first. Now, the original problem of not being able to update Java has been going on for half a year, but at this point, I dont even have Javascript. I know I have the back up computer registry, I just dont know how to merge them.

#9 lalada65

lalada65

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

I know... I'm still here looking for some info..I don't want us to screw up your computer worse.

#10 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:17 PM

I seem to have some of my Java Script back. I merged the back up registry with the regular one. Even though I got an error message, I am able to view my email and do the things I wasnt able to before. I still cant access the aol games, but I am not going to push my luck anymore.

#11 lalada65

lalada65

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

Ok Im back....This is going to seem a bit silly..What happens when you try to download Java from website? Do you get any errors? activexcontrol? popup blocker?
Let's try to work on one problem first..

Javascript is command language lines no application for it..Reinstalling browser might help..

#12 lalada65

lalada65

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

Just incase... its storming like crazy here..lost power a couple times

#13 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:58 PM

It is storming here too. Where are you? I am southwest of Philly. I have had it with this computer. I got two error messages once I merged the registries. One had to do with word and one had to do with webshots. I was playing a game that didnt need Java installed and it said if you could read this message, you didnt have Java installed and to click there. I tried once more. This time everything seemed to install. However, everything became corrupted. Whenever I turned on my computer, it said adobe was generating an error report. It said there was an internal error. I viewed the objects in my files and almost everything was corrupted and I had to remove them. One of the corrupted items was nortons. Every time I tried to get into a web site, I was immediately kicked off the computer. Right now, I am going through internet explorer as opposed to aol and trying to download nortons again. This really sucks!

#14 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:18 AM

Please try this

* Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u1
* Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u1"
* Click the "Download" button to the right.
* Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
* The page will refresh.
* Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language and save to your desktop.
* Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
* Clear Java Cache
To Clear the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) cache, do this:

* Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
* Double-click the Java icon.
-The Java Control Panel appears.
* Click "Settings" under Temporary Internet Files.
-The Temporary Files Settings dialog box appears.
* Click "Delete Files".
-The Delete Temporary Files dialog box appears.
-There are three options on this window to clear the cache.
o Delete Files
o View Applications
o View Applets
* Click "OK" on Delete Temporary Files window.
-Note: This deletes all the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the cache.
* Click "OK" on Temporary Files Settings window.
* Close the Java Control Panel.

You can also view these instructions along with screenshots here.

It is possible that Microsoft JVM is still present on your computer.Check this as following: Start -- Run and type cmd. In the blac window type jview and ENTER. If Microsft JVM is present you will get version notification. If not present you wil get an error.

Please do the following if Microsoft JVM is present:
Download this tool to remove Microsoft JVM from your PC: MSJVM Removal Tool
Save the file on your desktop doubleklick and allow it to store it into his own folder. Dobleklick unmsjvm.exe en follow these instructions.
Please also download this regfile: RemoveJVM.reg.
Store the regfile onto your desktop doubleklick and allow the changes in your registry.

* Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
* Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
- Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
o Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
* Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
* Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
* Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
* Then from your desktop double-click on jre-1_6_0_10-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users