Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trident Blade Video Card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 reesa9

reesa9

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

Hi there, I have tried searching the forums for some help regarding this, with no luck.

I have a Compaq Presario 5420AU. I cannot use the Cover Flow function on I-Tunes, so I recently (without a great deal of knowledge of what I was doing) purchased on ebay a Trident Blade 3D AGP Video Card 9880 chip-set for under $5 incl postage (so I'm not concerned if I wasted that money).

Anyhoo, installed the card, with no issues, was able to up my colour quality to 32 bit, which most forums suggest could be the issue, with no luck. Cover flow still not working. I have since upgraded all the drivers for the card, still with no luck.

More recently I downloaded a game from reflexive, which to my understanding I have met all their "requirements", however on attempting to open the game I get an error message saying "Sorry this computer does not meet minimum requirements. Or maybe hardware acceleration drivers were not installed."

I have fiddled around with the colour management settings, and am at a loss. I play movies without issue, so why not these graphics?

Any help would be appreciated since I have spent countless hours pulling my hair out!

Many regards
Reesa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:28 AM

Lets try this first: click start, run, type dxdiag in the run line and hit enter, click the yes button, when the program is finished running, look in the main window for the direcx version. The latest version is 9.0c. Let us know.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 reesa9

reesa9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:59 AM

Yep...got the latest DirectX 9.0

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:27 AM

Great. the video card is way to small, googled that model and got a 8 mb video ram card. You should get an Nvidia or ATI card with at least 64mb, if not 128. (More is better) just make sure that you dont get a card that requires extra power unless your power supply can handle it. You can probably get a new one for less than 50.00 here is a link to newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....e=%2425+-+%2450

Just be sure the card you get supports direc x 9.0c

Edited by oldf@rt, 01 May 2007 - 02:27 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 reesa9

reesa9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:13 AM

Terrific...YAY...at least I know it wasn't any of my settings...and now I know what sort of card to get (and I also know that I have more of an idea of what I'm doing now!!). I've learned so much!

Also I meant to add that I had posted this in the games area, with no response for a couple of days...unsure of where to place it. Perhaps that post could be closed down or similar.

Many thanks for your speedy response, you're a gem. Specially since the local puter shop told me it would cost around $300 for them to do...pfft. ;o)

Many regards, can't thank you enough.
Reesa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users