Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Burner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MN2006

MN2006

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:08 PM

I have video clips on my computer and would like to put them on a dvd but I dont have a dvd burner, but my burner only does CD-W and CD-RW but has a DVD drive, but doens't copy them or burn. Its just one disc drive though. Do I need to get a new disc drive or is there a program I can get taht will put something in it that will make it dvd recordable. Is there a free program that is good? If not, are they expensive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

Based on what you've told us, MN2006 -

that drive you have will not write to DVDs.

You can replace it with a DVD writer, which also will read and write CDs.

Tiger Direct has them - h e r e, just to give you and idea about pricing and you might check BC's Newegg special pricing, too.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 MN2006

MN2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:20 PM

Do they have any external ones available? Ones taht don't have to be put inside my computer?

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:26 PM

Yes.

I believe you'll find some listed at both Newegg and Tiger Direct.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 MN2006

MN2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

Thank you! I did figure out how to do it (my brother tried it first though) though I'll only be able to watch them on my computer which is fine with me. But I used the Roxio Create CD thing and had to use a CD-R. CD RW didn't work, and for some reason wouldn't work either for copying my pictures to them. I copied some pictures to another cd and that worked, but when I put another one for some other pictures of my brother's, they wouldn't burn to them but maybe its the disc. I will look into a DVD burner sometime I may end up having ot get a new CD rom cuz mine I think is wearing out, I've been noticing that whenever I copy cd's, they get scrapply at the end. I do it at the lowest speed too, the high ones, they get really bad. It could be dusty but i'm sure its wearing out too, so if I do, I'll look into an internal one since they are cheaper.

Edited by MN2006, 02 May 2007 - 06:30 PM.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

If you are going to have to replace your CD drive, you might as well get a DVD W/R drive, which will also handle CDs. I am not so sure that an external drive is less expensive than an internal drive just from glancing at the Best Buy site; and with external devices, you have additional problems of theft, physical stability while recording, and transfer integrity.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users