Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Problems

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 dumafach

dumafach

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

I have a seagate 120GB main hard drive and a 40GB slave. I installed the second drive to have extra memory. I thought it would automatically go to the second drive when c filled up. It didn't work like that. When I got the pop up stating I am running out of memory I moved all my music files and picture files to the slave. Then I moved my picture editing programs to the slave. I also moved the audio players to ths slave. I opened up 3Gigs. Then I was running out again. I went back in and removed programs I don't use and cleaned up c drive. I have compressed the drive and taken out everything I can possibly take out. I went through c drive and can't find any more I can move or delete. My 40GB slave is now at 30GB used. I have ATF cleaner and use it about every other day. Any suggestions on what I can do would be appreceiated.

Compaq Presario
Intel P4 Celeron 2.4 GHz
512MB RAM
C: 120GB seagate hard drive
D: 40GB seagate slave drive
E: cd/r-rw-dvd rom
F: cd-dvd/r-rw

Edited by dumafach, 30 April 2007 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:03 PM

You can make hard copies of all your music and picture files by burning them to a DVD.
You can do the same with all of your Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, etc...

Also, you can buy a new and larger hard drive for storage. :thumbsup:

What is on your c: drive that takes up so much room?
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#3 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Hello blueandgold04,

That is what I am trying to figure out. I keep going through C drive and I can't find anything but the basic that is supposed to be there. That is why I can't figure out what is taking up all my memory. I have all kinds of protection and don't think I have any thing to worry about there but what is using up all my memory. I don't get it.

I am also using Windows XP.

#4 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

Well, you can always reformat the drive. Assuming you had all the disks for your software and drivers.

Probably 15 gigs is in use as a Recovery Partition, if this is a factory Compaq.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

Try using sequoia view to find out what takes up so much space. Nifty little tool.

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

Posted Image

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

Adding a hard drive does not give you extra memory,

it gives you extra storage.

What exactly is the error you are getting?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

I downloaded the sequoia view. I like it. It shows the biggest files are Page file 5.1%. Next is hiberfil.sys which is 3.4%. Everything else looks normal. Mostly windows installers, uninstallers, data files, batch files and system files.

On the pop up on "storage space" it states.
"Low Disc Space
you are runnig low on disc space on Disk 2 Vol C
to free space on this drive by deleting old or unecessary files click here"

I have done everything it suggest. I have deleted old files, defragmented, compressed, moved files and still I run out. I just bought this drive not to long ago because of space. I think the largest I can go on this machine is 200GB.

#8 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:53 AM

If your computer supports USB 2.0 or Firewire, then you can get an external HDD. This drive can be as big as you want, 500 GB?

As far as internal HDD's go, the largest contiguous drive space allowed is ~ 134 GB (I think), but you can buy a larger drive and just partition it into multiple smaller volumes.

I may be wrong, but it appears as if your Paging File (Virtual Memory) is rather large for 512 MB of RAM. 5.1% of 120 GB is about 6 GB. Your Paging File should be 1.5 times your amount of RAM.
To try to minimize your system's dependence on Virtual Memory, you may want to get another 512 MB of RAM.

JohnWho does make a good point, memory is determined by the amount of RAM your computer has.

Regards,
bg04

#9 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:30 PM

Hello, I am back. I spent some time in the hospital. Anyway, I came back and started checking out the sequoia view. It doesn't add up. As I said hiberfil.sys and page file have the biggest blocks. Hiberfil is 503MB and page file is 755MB. I deleted a couple of movies I had on C drive and it gave me 3GB. Now I am back down to 43MB and getting the pop up again. I have not downloaded anything except sequoia view. I have several hard drives laying around here and I could get a external drive to hook up but I am still running out of C drive. 755MB does not add up to 5% of 120GB so I don't know what is going on but something is not right.
On sequoia view it shows program files is 3.63GB, Recycler is 476MB, MSOcache is 209MB, HP drivers is 176MB, Windows is5.62GB, Documents and settings is 1.79GB. Everthing else is inside those main blocks. It does not add up to 120GB. Can anybody tell me what is going on?

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:36 PM

Let me ask again:

What exactly does this pop-up message say?

Please describe it.

#11 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:38 PM

"Low Disc Space
you are runnig low on disc space on Disk 2 Vol C
to free space on this drive by deleting old or unecessary files click here

#12 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

Got it - I missed where you posted that before.

When you right click on Drive C: in Windows Explorer,

and choose "properties", does the drive show as 120G?

#13 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

Actually it shows only 112GB useabe space the rest is for the boot.ini and start up programs. I just found somebody that has the same problem in the xp forum on the 2nd page. I was reading that when I saw your pop up. I have so much protection on this computer I don't see how anything could get past though. But, What the heck do I know.

I did a Belarc check and it shows both drives status as healthy. I also did a SISandra lite scan and it just showed I needed a bios update. I did that.

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:59 PM

Actually it shows only 112GB useabe space the rest is for the boot.ini and start up programs.

That sounds reasonable.

Does it show you using almost all of the HD there, too?

#15 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

It shows 111GB used space and 29.3MB free space left. I have compressed the drive also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users