Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Reformatting My Dell With Window's Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yup

Yup

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a helping hand. I've recently had to reformat my laptop which is a Dell Inspiron 5150. I used OS Reinstallation CD. I got to the part with the partition and when trying to delete it, I get a message stating that I cannot delete the partition because some files are on it that are necessary for the reinstallation.

So, I just kept going, and reformatted the hard drive. There is said that information on the computer may be lost, which is what I want. Anyway, after the reformat and reinstallation all of the icons are gone from my desktop that I added after the purchase of the laptop. However, after viewing my C: drive, everything is still there.

I need to somehow completely wipe out everything on the laptop and reinstall. I imagine it has to do with me not being able to delete the partition. Can someone advise if maybe there is something I have to do before that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

The Partition you can't delete is the recovery partition is has re-installation files you need to re-install your operating system with the restore CD. If you do manage to delete this partition your recovery cd's may not work. When you reinstalled windows the system recovery cd's restore the computer back to the way it came from the manufacture. All the software you installed needs to be reinstalled.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Yup

Yup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:58 PM

Hmm. But it did not delete anything off of the hard drive. How do I do a clean sweep of my computer then?

And thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

Edited by Yup, 30 April 2007 - 04:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users