Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Roaming Profile Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Treikayan

Treikayan

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

Windows cannot copy file C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\ntuser.tmp to location \\ServerName\profiles$\%username%\NTUSER.DAT. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

I keep getting this error when I try logging off. It looks like security rights to me, but I'm pretty sure I set both file permissions and share permissions properly.

In AD I set up user dummy with the following information:

Profile Path: \\Servername\Profiles$\pdummy. The "p" means profile. We already have shares on this server with usernames.
Logon Script: something.bat
Home folder: Connected as H:\, \\ServerName\%username%

File permissions for "profiles$" is set to Full Control for Domain Users and Domain Admins.

I tried multiple ways to get this to work, but nothing is replicating. Please offer any assistance.

The user I'm testing with is a dummy account, called "dummy."
Procrastinate Now!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Treikayan

Treikayan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:50 PM

I should also point out that \\ServerName\Profiles$ is directed to a cluster.

\\ServerName = Cluster Group Name.
Procrastinate Now!!!

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:26 AM

Are you trying to do this from XP home or XP Pro?
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Treikayan

Treikayan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

Actually,

I figured it out and what was wrong. In User Profiles, it wasn't letting me use the "Copy To" feature. It was "greyed out." This made me actually copy the user profiles to the server without the "Copy To" feature. This was causing all the errors. Soooo, I played around a bit and discovered how to get the "Copy To" feature to work for me.

To correct this, I had to force the user to rejoin the domain to get the "Copy To" feature to work right. In our domain, we join a domain as "DomainName," but the domain is actually "DomainName.Local." I simply took out ".Local" to force user to rejoin the domain. Windows is weird!

My initial problem came down to properly copying the profile to the server. The test (dummy) Roaming Profile is properly working.

On a side note: For those people who are using Roaming Profiles, this is what I did.

I created \\RoamingProfileServer\ProfileShareFolder$. I gave "Domain Users" full change/modify access for both file and share permissions on "ProfileShareFolder$."

On the client machine, I went to User Profiles and selected "Copy To." I browsed to \\RoamingProfileServer\ProfileShareFolder$\. It created client %USERNAME% folder. I assigned "full control" to that user for that file folder. I set "Change Type" to "roaming profile" on the User's Profile and rebooted the machine.

The key here is "REBOOT THE MACHINE," don't just log off!!! The settings don't replicate to the server simply by logging off. REBOOT THE COMPUTER after you are done on Computer A. Go to Computer B and log in to test the settings. If user simply logged off Computer A, whatever that user did on Computer A is still on Computer A. Computer A didn't "release" profile changes to the server to use on Computer B.
Procrastinate Now!!!

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for letting us know you solved the issue.

Like the signature!.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users