Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Accessing Secure Sites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gadailey

gadailey

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:02 AM

I am having the same problem regarding accessing secure sites. I did all of the steps above but still doesnt' work. I checked out the suggested link that helped resolved someone else problem- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;EN-US;Q318815-
but that won't work for me because it is for windows 2k. I'm running xp pro, sp2.
I did have norton 04 installed on computer a while back but it has been uninstalled for quite a while and now I am running CA virus protection. Is it possible that some of the old norton files are hiding somehwhere? Any other ideas for fixing this Bleeping computer?
Thanks!

Mod Edit: This was split from the topic, Can't Access Secure Sites, Browser won't connect. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 30 April 2007 - 10:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:32 AM

It would not hurt to run the Norton Removal Tool. I would also do a search for symantec, norton.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for that info. I ran it, and it did find some norton files hanging around that it removed. However, that still didn't resolve the problem. I cleared my cache for the umpteenth time and rebooted again just to be sure, but it still isn't working.

In addition to doing all of the things that have been suggested in this forum topic, I have also run a virus scan (product: CA) with latest defs in safe mode. I have tried disabling my firewall, I've run AVG spyware and a-squared for malware and worms.

I really don't want to have to reinstall xp again, at least not until I've exhausted every other option.

Oh yeah I also ran a ckdsk and defragged, but nothing there.

Additionally windows updates can't run because I can't access those either.

Anymore ideas? Again, thanks for the norton link, it's still going to come in handy for future use.

Edited by gadailey, 30 April 2007 - 12:07 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like you have just about covered every possibility. The only other things I can think of is checking the internet settings in IE options. Updating Java. There are also numerous popup blockers that anyone could be the problem. I am assuming you are using IE. Have you tried Firefox? Cannot think of anything else.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

I did try firefox once, but I couldn't seem to get the tabs to work the way I wanted them to. I've been using a browser called slimbrowser for several years not because I like the way the tabs work. I know that's nuts, but if I could figure that out...

I'm thinking I might just have to reinstall xp. eek.

Thanks for your help!

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:01 PM

Do you receive an error message?

Have you tried re-registering the necessary dll files?

Click Start.
Click Run.
Type in; cmd
Click OK.

This will open a DOS window.
At the command prompt, type in; regsvr32 softpub.dll (notice the space between 32, and softpub)
Hit the Enter key.

Do the same thing with the following:
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

When you're done, type in; exit
Click the Enter key.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:58 PM

Here is sort of a check list you can run thru. It is for IE. I am not familiar with the browser you are using. I did see where it has it's on popup blocker. Can you shut down that browser and use IE so to eliminate it as the problem?
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/secure.htm

Edited by buddy215, 30 April 2007 - 02:58 PM.

#8 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:17 PM

aaarrrgghhh.
Ok, I reregistered the dll's, I removed slimbrowser, and I ran through that checklist ....still nothing.

new info has arrived though that might have something to do with it....

I tried accessing the internet from my kids computer which is part of our home network. I cannot access secures sites there either...in fact I am thinking now that it has only been since I set up our home network that this problem showed up.
Is there a network setting that might be causing this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users