Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Third Party Firewalls & Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

HI EVERYONE :flowers:

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any 3rd party firewall apps that are fully Vista compatible. DON'T mention Security Suites, just firewalls. I currently use Zonealarm Pro and want to stick with it. But the fact that they still don't have a Vista compatible version keeps me from upgrading.

It must be a real challenge for some of these companies to get their firewall working under Vista. But, at the same time, I can't understand why Zonealarm waited until March to only get the Beta release. I want to stick to ZA Pro (the BEST firewall, IMO) and I want to get Vista on the comp. (it's sitting on the shelf, as well as a CD of all the drivers and software) but I won't upgrade until I get a firewall that will work under Win V.

Please help me with recommending any standalone firewall programs (free or commercial) that are Vista compatible, have a good reputation and are not system hogs.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:43 AM

I think the list in the link below is fairly recent. You know, Windows firewall can be used for both inbound and outbound in Vista. My thought is to use it until the others have a chance to get the bugs out.
http://vistabookmarks.blogspot.com/2007/03...-firewalls.html

In case you want to check info on Windows Firewall:
http://dozleng.com/internetsecurity/?p=133

Edited by buddy215, 30 April 2007 - 08:45 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

I only know of 1 firewall that works with Vista- that is PC Tools Firewall Plus. Its free and does the same things ZA does.

Presently, ZA does not work well with Vista
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:03 AM

Trying a new firewall is like asking someone else to fix your car other than your regular mechanic....
Hey, if I'm happy with the product, why change it? But maybe I'll try the Vista firewall or the one from PC Tools in the interim until ZA comes with a Vista version. Need to read up a bit more though....

It's quite frustrating that a lot of these security companies are quite far behind when it comes to offering their security apps without Vista support (F-Secure, ZA, Comodo, Outpost, etc. etc.)

Thanks for the feedback so far! :thumbsup:

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:02 PM

The PC Tools Firewall in Vista certainly is different in appearance from Zone Alarms',

but it's general operation has that familiar feel.

For example, after I installed it, the first time AVG tried to update itself

a Pop-up message appeared over the notification area of the taskbar

asking if I wanted to allow or disallow it.

It is new to me, too, but I feel better using it than the Vista built-in firewall (which I've disabled)

based on reviews I've read regarding the Vista firewall. While it is better than the one

in XP, it still doesn't get the job done as well as most of the others.

There - that's my 2 cents.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users