Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie7 Folder Locations

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gadailey

gadailey

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:47 AM

When I installed IE7, it moved some of my folders and I have no idea where they went! So I uninstalled it until I could get further info.

For example: Usually to access my "history" folder, I go into C/documents and settings/my user name/local settings, and there is my history folder.

With IE7, that location has changed. In fact before I uninstalled it, I think I did finally find the history folder, but the history was not in there.

Is there a way to install IE7 so that it leaves my folders alone!?!?

If not, anyone know the protocol for how the new file folders are arranged?

I don't really want to install IE7, but I currently cannot access secure sites on IE6, even after doing EVERYTHING that was posted on one of the other forums that addresses that issue. I'm hoping IE7 will resolve that.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:05 AM

Internet Explorer History is a record of all Web sites that have been visited during a particular period of time. The default History setting is 20 days, which most people find sufficient. Generally there is no reason to change this setting for any other reason other than personal preference. Be warned though, if your History folder gets too large it may corrupt, so don't try to keep the maximum number of days in history (99 days).

To reduce or increase the number of days a site is kept in history

In Internet Explorer 6, click Tools, click Internet Options, and then under History, adjust the number of days.

In Internet Explorer 7, click Tools, click Internet Options, and then click the Settings button for Browsing History.

We can control how our browsing history is displayed in the History pane. To access the History pane in Internet Explorer 6, click the History button on the toolbar. In Internet Explorer 7, click on Tools, then Toolbars.

We can select view by date, view by site, view according to most visited sites, and viewed in order visited today. I personally find the view by date to be the most useful when searching an extended history. The ability to search in the History folder is simple yet powerful, but will only work if we type the search terms exactly as they appear on cached Web page, or in its URL or page title.

Sometimes people use their History folder as a type of pseudo-Favorites folder. This is not really a good idea. The History folder is dynamic and URLs may disappear if left unvisited for long enough (for example if you go away on holiday and do not turn on your computer for an extended period of time). The sites that you want to ensure are preserved should be saved as a Favorite (click the Favorites menu, and then select Add to Favorites).

An added benefit of saving URLs as Favorites is that you are able to export a backup of your Favorites for safe keeping, or to copy to another computer. It is not possible to export and import the History folder in this way.

To export your Favorites, click the File menu, and then select Import and Export to start the Import/Export wizard. Decide what you want to import or export, and have a floppy disk or USB key ready to copy the file to.

An in-depth discussion about the advanced features of Internet Explorer History and Favorites can be found in my article Data in depth: Get more from Internet Explorer's Favorites and History

#3 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:29 AM

Thank you for the valuable information. Perhaps though my question was unclear.
I want to know how to access the history folder on my local drive. When I install IE7 it does not remain in the same place.

For example: With IE6 currently installed,the path to my history folder is

C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\Local Settings\History

However, when I upgraded to IE7, the history folder was no longer there. Where did it go? I understand that I can access the history via IE, but I need the flexibility to access it either way.

I have reverted back to IE6 for now, but would still like to know the answer.
Thanks again!

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:44 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\HISTORY should be the folder in XP. Are you logged in as an administrator?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users