Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fully Automatic Bootup/log-on Possible?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:35 AM

I'm WinXPHome/ AOL and just wonder if there's a way to make the computer boot up and log on automatically from switch-on right through to the AOL welcome screen?
At the moment I switch on, then have to wait a while and then click the 'Owner' option, then twiddle my thumbs waiting for the Desktop to come up, then I have to double-click the AOL icon, more twiddling, then have to click the sign-on screen, and after more twiddling the welcome screen at last comes up about 6 minutes after switching on the PC.
See my point? I have to hang around the PC and do three mouse clicks at intervals to keep the bootup/logon process going, oh for the joy of being able to simply switch on, go have a cup of tea in the kitchen for 6 minutes, then come back to find the AOL welcome screen waiting for me.. :)
I've searched the Win XP and AOL options but can find nothing that'll streamline things, any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:47 AM

Hi MickinPlymouthUK.
See this article for auto logon settings.
As for the 6 minute boot time, that's rather long. :thumbsup:

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:06 AM

Okay thanks for the advice which I followed, I set XP to auto-log just fine and it takes me to the AOL sign-on screen, but I still have to manually log on to AOL from there.
Infuriatingly. I set the AOL auto-start options to 'Automatically start AOL" but it doesn't work, I still have to do it manually.
I got onto AOL Help about it and they told me to try setting the auto-start again which I did, but no joy, it still wants me to do it manually.
Is there some technical reason I might have overlooked?

#4 mobil1_oils

mobil1_oils

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:21 AM

For it to take that long to start up i'd be thinking it might have some spyware/adware or viruses that are running in the background. Try doing a full search for both, i am unsure of where to find a decent free spyware scanner, but someone else here should. Also maybe a registry scanner to repair reg errors to speed it up a bit. I dont know where you would find a trustworthy one of those either though. As for the AOL, that auto start option just starts the AOL program, you still have to log on, which it sounds like its doing. I don't think you can set it to automatically log on without someone coding something to execute the logon function.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:41 PM

I would suggest uninstalling AOL and then reinstalling a freshly downloaded copy (in case the previous installation was corrupted in some way).

If that doesn't work, then I'd suggest looking around the web for AOL removal tools (to remove all reference to AOL from your system) and then trying the reinstall.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users