Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitor How To?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lawballer

Lawballer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:55 PM

I have a Dell Dimension Desktop 3600c. I have a standard dell monitor. I am looking to get another monitor and have them both setup. I'm sure you know what I mean. 2 monitors side by side both on at the same time. Is there anyone that could tell me the best way to do this. Just go out and buy another monitor obviouslly but is there any other hardware/software I will need along with another monitor if so what is it. Also is there any compatibilaty problems I should know of. Like if I have a dell monitor and a dell computer can I buy a Sony Monitor and hook them all up together. Also, are there any drawbacks to doing this that I should be aware of? Slower computer performance etc. Do I need a certain quality of computer to do this with? things like that. I don't know anyone else who does it so if there is someone who maybe has this setup already that could give me some feedback I'd really appreciate it.

Jordan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:06 PM

Hi there,
I've run 2 monitors for about 6 months now and would never go back to one.lol.
All i did was to change my graphics card to one that had 2 fittings on the back instead of the normal one.
There are better graphics cards now than the one i used.
I did put in some more ram memory because i only had 256mb and was told i'd need more.
All my specs are in the sig, below.

BBPP6nz.png

#3 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:17 AM

Hi,
I run a dual monitor setup on a HP Pavilion desktop computer. It came with a 15" Samsung LCD screen but that is a bit small for my old eyes so I bought a 19" BenQ. I tried to sell the small one but after a week and no sale I decided to keep it.
As my computer had onboard video I just got an el cheapo secondhand S3 Trio (ancient) video card from my local techie. Popped it in the PCI slot, got the correct drivers from the net and adjust the settings in "display" to stretch the desktop and away we go. I use the big monitor for working and on the small one I have my email, music player, and an assortment of widgets like calender, weather, and net monitor.
I don't know how I ever managed with just one monitor, let alone a small one. :thumbsup:
My avatar is a screenshot of the dual setup and a pic is here
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/wil...esk006Small.jpg
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:28 AM

With my previous computer, I just bought 'Y' vga and audio cables and it seemed to work OK.

My new PC has a GeForce 7500 video card so I have finally been able to configure them properly, with the big HD LCD TV as my primary monitor. I have to confess I am in love with it LOL.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:11 AM

Nice mousepad wildchild2 :thumbsup:

#6 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

Hi fozzie,
Thanks for the comment. That girl is Australia's own Miss Universe, Jennifer Hawkins. Lovely girl!

I use laminated photos as mouse pads as my cordless mouse seems to work better on a shiny surface.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#7 Lawballer

Lawballer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

So basically if I just go out and buy a new monitor. And a new video card with dual monitor capability I can come home and hook the both of them up with no problems?

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

If you ensure compatibility with your present system, don't really see a problem. Pin the sales staff down so you can return anything which doesn't work.

Let us know how you get on. Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 30 April 2007 - 05:36 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

Wish my desk was as clean as that wildchild2
I have notes all around like you wouldn't believe. :thumbsup:
but i still know where everything is! :huh:

BBPP6nz.png

#10 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

Am like that too Starbuck. Know exactly where to dive into the mess. In a right pickle if I ever have a cleanup. LOL

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users