Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Myst Iv-revelation.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 digicrow

digicrow

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:04 PM

I was playing Myst IV when it crashed and froze on my computer. I then found the patch at Ubisoft and installed the patch. I got past the point where it crashed the first time and then it froze again at Atruses Lab. (this is near the beginning of the game where one turns on the power and there is a green colored explosion and you wake up later at night.

I then uninstalled the game and find that I cannot get a reinstall to work correctly. I did a search for orphans left over from the original install and removed them and re installed again. No luck.

As an aside, I am having no luck getting Nikon Capture NX to work. It did not quit at the same time. It quit working earlier by a month or two. I wouldn't mention this here except I am wondering if this is in any way related to the Myst problem indicating that there may be a larger problem that I am unaware of.

I am running Sony Vaio Pent D processor. CPU 2.80 Ghz 1.00Ghz of RAM 250 GB HDD

Thank you for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 digicrow

digicrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:00 PM

Please help, I know you folks are busy. I just do not understand what is needed for me to do.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

Have you had the game for a while and its been playing fine until now or did you just get it and have this problem immediately?

This could be due to old graphics drivers or directx. Do you know what kind of graphics card you have? Try updating the drivers to the latest versions.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 digicrow

digicrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

Have you had the game for a while and its been playing fine until now or did you just get it and have this problem immediately?

This could be due to old graphics drivers or directx. Do you know what kind of graphics card you have? Try updating the drivers to the latest versions.

The graphics card is an ATI Raydeon X300. I had had this game installed about a year ago. I replaced my HDD and had not reinstalled the game until one month ago. It played fine before replacing the HDD with the same graphics card a year ago. Now it has crashed twice and will not reinstall.

Any other suggestions? I did update the ATI drivers just last week. No help. The only thing I can think of is that settings may have somehow changed on the card. Can't remember if I had changed them for another game. I did check the acceleration and moved that to "recommended" setting.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

Iit may be that the reinstall fails because there are "leftovers" of the original game files somewhere on your computer. Try using Explorer to locate the files or folder and delete them.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

Just out of curiosity, what happens when you try to reinstall?

#7 digicrow

digicrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:37 PM

Just out of curiosity, what happens when you try to reinstall?

I get the small "preliminary" control panel for the game that allows me to install or quit. Nothing else. The control panel is obviously a Ubisoft piece of art with the proper gold active buttons and theme. the game does nothing and I can't get it to work by going to "My Computer" and double clicking on the CD icon either. I have used explorer and cleaned out the orphans or artifacts and that does nothing. In relation to this I have posted an HJT log as there now are other suspicious activities. My son used my computer to go on some site called "Face" and I think this may have been something that caused problems. I just ran stinger and there were some results from its scan. Thanks for the replies, I really appreciated the help.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

Hold off doing anything that might invalidate the contents of the log you have posted. Once a Team Volunteer works with you to resolve any malware problems, post back if you are still having the game problem and we can go from there.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users