Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates & Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tkenney65

tkenney65

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

I am running XP Home Edition on my Dell 2400 Series PC.

My computer is running very slow (no Malware/Spyware/Viruses present) ever since the addition of a new larger hard drive. I replaced a 40gb drive (which was acting as my secondary drive for storage , etc. and was also the home of my Windows swap file) with a new 200gb drive (which also houses my Windows swap file).

Ever since then, the computer is running really slow and my windows updates (which I require approval of before install) have been ongoing for weeks (they are new ones every day). Is it possible that my windows update files and/or SP2 files were on that older 40gb drive (reformatted to use as an external backup) and thus my PC is grossly out of date from a security standpoint?

One final item.....the hard drive light always seems to be on (not necessarily blinking but always on) since the new drive installation.

Any help would be appreciated...

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

If you go to Windows Update and select Custom instead of Express, it will allow you to download almost every Update at one time.
Go to the Task Manger and select Performance. Monitor this tab to see which process may be hoarding your System Resources.
You can also check the Event Viewer to see if there are Conflicts or Error messages. The Event Viewer is located in the Administrative Tools.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tkenney65

tkenney65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

acklan,

Thanks for the help.....installing all of the updates as we speak.

I have several errors showing in the Event Viewer:

SYSTEM:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
PenClass
TPkd

APPLICATION:

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection checkpoint has encountered an error and failed to start.
User: MAINCOMPUTER\Brad
Checkpoint ID: 23
Error Code: 0x80070005
Error description: Access is denied.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

Start by disabling MS Defender's Real Time Protection feature. It is apparently having conflict with another program. If you cannot disable it, uninstall it.
Reboot and let us know the results.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users