Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Don't Know Where To Go From Here

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 plantedearth

plantedearth

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

My computer started acting up on Thursday. I've dealt with spyware before and tried all the normal routines. This one won't let me into outlook express. It keeps trying to configure microsoft office. It won't let me uninstall microsoft office. Ewido just locks up....won't run. Everything I run finds stuff, "fixes" it, but then it never gets better. Super slow re-boots. Running stuff in safe mode doesn't seem to help. I don't know what to do...I have hijackthis on here, so I can start there if someone can help me.

Lost and going crazy....any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:18 PM

Hey plantedearth, welcome to BleepingComputer.
Look in your Event Viewer, which is in the Administrative Tools, and see if there are Error Messages.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 plantedearth

plantedearth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

I have 5 event logs to choose from...Currently my computer is running spybot. I haven't used that one before...it has found a few things that adaware didn't find, including something called wildTangent and some disable notification stuff.
On the application log in event viewer, I have several errors...well, quite a few.
On the system log, there is a extended list of errors.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

The first step is to clean the spyware up. Try rebooting into Safe Mode and see if you can run some of the scans there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 plantedearth

plantedearth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

ok. I'm currently trying to re-boot. I'm on my laptop, right next to the infected computer. Anyway, it said it had an update to install before re-booting. Taking a long time. I will re-boot in safe mode when its done. What do you recommend to run? I'll try adaware and spy bot. I uninstalled ewido, because it no longer responded. I have some spy software by uniblue. SpyEraser or something like that. What's next...Thanks btw

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

If you can list the last 4 errors in each category that would be a good start.
What Antivirus are you currently running?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

I have some spy software by uniblue. SpyEraser or something like that.

What's the exact name of the antispyware you have, from Uniblue?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 plantedearth

plantedearth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:37 PM

The one i have is uniblue SpyEraser. On the event viewer thing...I went to the system tab to get the last four and as I toggle down to look, it stops me and prompts me that the system log is corrupt. Then it goes blank in that folder and tells me there are no items to show in this view.
The SpyEraser is a program that said it found several things and said to fix them would cost me 19.95 or something. I know its the cardinal rule not to buy these, but we did anyway. I searched it out, it didn't prompt me to buy it.
In the background, there is a microsoft office box that tells me it is configuring microsoft office. Then, another box pops up and says "Microsoft Office Outlook" Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run MS Office Outlook and set it as the default mail client.

The last four in the application tab under event viewer are Information from automatic live update, then three warnings with MsiInstaller under the "source" tab.
Under the system tab, i can back out, and get back in and look at some of the errors. Looks like the last one was on 4/26

#9 plantedearth

plantedearth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

the last few "errors" under the application tab are from source "application hang"
Then a little further down, there are some from MsiInstaller. Still telling me the system tab under event viewer has a corrupt log

#10 plantedearth

plantedearth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:47 PM

in an effort to give you more info, another problem that is going on is when i try to get on outlook express it prompts me
"outlook express could not be started. the application was unable to open the outlook express message store. your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full. contact ms support for further asst."
I click o.k. and then
"outlook express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly.

#11 lalada65

lalada65

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

Hi Planet

WildTangent Is a game driver..(Safe) Also Having a couple different spyware programs really isn't to good for your machine. They will conflict (hang , etc)-run in background at the sametime causing other applications to hang.

#12 lalada65

lalada65

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:08 PM

sorry (((plantedearth)))..

#13 plantedearth

plantedearth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

i did have ewido, but it now locks up when i open it, so i uninstalled it. I think i might uninstall the spyeraser as well. Not yet, though. I'm hoping we can work thru this on here.
I tried to uninstall the ms office 2003, but it won't let me...it tries to configure it instead.

#14 plantedearth

plantedearth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:21 PM

Once again, in an effort to provide info...I have tried to get into outlook express with the above mentioned prompts. When I try to get into MS outlook, it tries to "configure" office 2003 again. It lets me into Word and Excel. Excel pops right up...but Word is very slow to load. On the Outlook try, after I cancel the configure box, it tells me its missing some .dll files. They're different every time.

#15 lalada65

lalada65

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:41 PM

Have you tried reinstalling internet explorer? explorer and outlook are kinda connected..Do you have the latest 7?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users