Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too Hot To Live?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 percypape

percypape

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:18 PM

Greetings from computer hades, BC. It's finals week & my desktop pc got sick a week ago-just as I was preparing to backup a lot of important research & prelim. writing 4 2 research papers & a presentation. I'll give specs 1st then sordid details.

HP Pavilion s7220n slimline(pizza box) purch. 1/30/06 runs Windows xp sp2
Intel 915GV celeron M370 (p) 1.5 Ghz Mobo:Asus PTGV-LM (Onyx-GLBE) HD:200GB SATA 7200 rpm
Mem:1 GB Kingston DDR2 SDRAM 240pin DIMM Norton AV 2006 Tech center ed. (no spyware func.) Spysweeper 2006

Try 2 b brief but is long story: Quite sure began as a temp prob- tiny pc obviously crowded inside case & tends 2 run a bit hotter than the average-size pc though it has never been an issue b4 now. I had her on 4 a few hours while working on research paper & she just killed- sounded like she does when turning off; monitor was off, cpu silent but power button lit as if nothing happened. Pushing monitor's power button made it try 2 turn on & its light went green but turned right back off again. Had 2 hold pc power button in 2 turn it off. I felt top of case right above psu & it burned my hand- obviously the cause of shut down. So I open her up & cleaned everything (as have done regularly since purchase) & checked the fans. I'm certainly no expert but it looked like fans were functional. Even just cleaning/checking anything in this case is hazardous in a way because one must take everything apart 2 see or get 2 components it's like flippin sardines & who knows if I put stuff back right; not an inch of margin 4 error but I put it back 2gether & booted in safe mode 2 try checkdisk. After 5 minutes another shutdown but didn't feel hot. So I held power button 2 turn it off & turned it on again. I checked the temp in BIOS it was (Fahrenheit) 104 then 105, 107, 109; fan speed was 1419 rpm switch 2 full speed at 185. I went 2 get a drink & came back cpu temp was 132.5 1448rpm. W/temp rising fast I let windows boot & tried 2 post here quick but shutdown again so I brought her in to the mom/pop repair shop down the street- I think was a mistake. He told me the psu fan needed replacing which he did & told me she ran 4 hours no shutdown but I should get some superfan after finals. That was ALL he said & I paid $110. I get home & power up 2 find this repair guy has uninstalled my Norton AV & downloaded AVG freeware. I saw he had used HP remote assistance so I give him benefit of the doubt- maybe he thought Norton worked the pc 2 hard & made temp worse but needed protection 4 the remote assistance or something but wouldn't u tell a person @ that? I just paid 2 renew Norton & downloading from the internet is pretty damned ballsy when it's a hardware issue, isn't it? So 40 minutes in2 trying 2 find & fix all the weird, creepy changes he made, BANG shutdown & worse than that: total death. No light from psu at all obviously no power up. So I emailed HP & was going thru the steps they suggested & I noticed when unplug power cord (either from ups or back of pc) then plug back in, psu light would go on again but when push power button it would go off again. If continue 2 hold in power button it would go on again but still no response from pc otherwise. I tried checking cables/connections inside case but I know almost nothing @ this stuff. I did however notice that the repair guy didn't replace a screw that goes on the CDROM drive; it was a big, weird, important-looking screw & I am pissed that I have 2 go in there again & ask 4 the damned thing. Could this or anything he did have caused the problem 2 go from bad 2 worse? Anything I did? 1 of the steps HP said 2 take was taking out any components that were added after purchase & seeing if pc would then turn on. I haven't done this because A)the crowded conditions & my lack of expertise makes me reluctant 2 take the guts apart/put back 2gether over & over :thumbsup: even though the HD is not original, it was replaced 10 months ago w/out incident (6 months after purchase). Also it was sent under warranty directly from HP (due 2 SMART "failure imminent" warning). So I'm pretty sure they know which 1 2 send. C)The memory was added 6 months ago w/out incident & I am quite sure it was the correct module but is it possible that either the HD or memory only seemed 2 b fine but over time were overpowering the psu? It just seems 2 me the psu was affected by the heat but why suddenly is heat an issue in the 1st place? I'm afraid 2 spend any more $$ 4 "help" or new components unless they'll work. I feel like I should buy a new psu & pray HARD. That's where I am in the steps HP sent (besides having skipped the remove HD/memory & c if it works part). Any advice would b much appreciated even if it's "get a new computer". No matter what I'm switching the guts 2 a regular-size case this pizza box bleepe is 2 risky.
Don't know if this has anything 2 do with it: 3-5 weeks ago Windows quit responding so I had 2 reinstall that & many of my programs. I never could find the cause.
THANKS, BC!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 percypape

percypape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

Well, I'm replying to my own post in case anyone who's thinking of buying a slimline computer views this.
DON'T BUY A SLIMLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is NOT going to save you any money!!! If you don't have enough space for a real, normal-sized computer, get a laptop. The case is too crowded and the psu runs too hot. It is a seriously bad thing. Not only that, but when you have to take it to get repaired because the psu is fried and probably other components, as well, it's a huge hassel because everything is "proprietary" so you need special expertise and equipment (read: they have to send it far away). Stuff you could fix by yourself on a normal computer cannot be done. YOU WILL NOT SAVE ANY MONEY! I have to get a new computer now and this one is not even a year and a half old. At the repair shop they told me that they see slimlines with everything fried all the time. Some guy has brought his in there 6 times in one year.
I really want to swear right now. HP told me to run it with the cover off and a fan pointed at it! It sounds like a joke. Consumer reports just came out with computer recommendations so looks like I'm going with a Dell Dimension. Cool computing-here I come.

#3 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:06 PM

Of course Slimline cases suck! They are more for an office environment where you are cramped for space lol. That and as you said, you cant fit any high end graphics cards in it. Get a case from somewhere like tigerdirect or newegg. Or maybe a local Frys

Gavin Seabrook

#4 percypape

percypape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

it's $200 just for them to replace the psu which would die in another two seconds anyway. The repair dude said I wouldn't be able to transfer the guts to a new case- do you think that's true? He said the mobo is continuous with it or some such thing. I just had to spend $300 on car repairs so now I can't afford a new pc. If I could reasonably transfer cases that would be so nice- I do not (obviously) want to spend any more $$ fixing this !@#$ thing. I made it through finals but it was AWFUL. Pure torture. I have a new loaf of sympathy for people without computers now.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:34 AM

There's limited components that you can transfer out of a slimline case into a regular case - as such you'll be buying a lot of new stuff. With the plug in cards you'll also have to find an "extender" to make the cards full height (instead of the 1/2 height cards that are used).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users