Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dates Not Displaying On Anything.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Legacy712

Legacy712

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

Okay, here's a really strange one for you.

There are no dates showing on anything in my Windows 2000 (SP 4) system.

When I view the contents of a folder, it shows the correct time, but no date at all.

When I look at the properties of anything, it shows the correct times (created, modified, accessed) without the dates, although sometimes it show "boxes" for the access time.

When I look at the system clock (date/time applet), for the date it shows 1. That's right, no month, just a 1. If I open the pulldown list, it shows 12 lines of 1s. If I select the 4th "1", it shows the month layout for April.

If I look at an event, the date column has a blank value.

If I sort a folder by its date column, it sorts by the time within the date, so the dates are there, just not displayed.

The date and time in the bios is correct. The time shown in W2K is correct, just cannot get a date to show for anything.

Does anyone know what controls this? I've found the entries in the registry, but they all look fine.

Update: When I go into the Control Panel - Regional Settings, everything is fine until I click on the Date tab. Then it pops up with a box saying "Error - One of the files on your computer may be corrupt or missing. To replace the file, reinstall Windows." I can't believe I have to reinstall W2K just because one file is missing/corrupt (yet I can change the date values, like "/" to "-", and it keeps the new values). I just can't find which file controls this.

Doug

Edited by Legacy712, 30 April 2007 - 01:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:53 PM

Do you have any restore points you could go to? Did anything appear when you go to windows update site? Have you tried doing a repair operation from your 2000 install disk?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

Hi Doug.

Update: When I go into the Control Panel - Regional Settings, everything is fine until I click on the Date tab. Then it pops up with a box saying "Error - One of the files on your computer may be corrupt or missing. To replace the file, reinstall Windows."

That's most likely a .cpl file error.
Look for and check version #'s of intl.cpl (sets time\date format) and datetime.cpl (sets time\date). One or both may be corrupt or missing. Unfornunetly I do not know the correct versions for win2k sp4.
On XP SP2 they are both ver. 5.1.2600.2180.

I can't believe I have to reinstall W2K just because one file is missing/corrupt

I would be surprised if it was that simple. I would suspect corruption elsewhere as well.
Replace\Reinstall the above two cpl files with the correct version and let us know how it goes.

#4 Legacy712

Legacy712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:59 PM

Yep, tried the repair facility, and can't find anything related on the microsoft site. If I search for windows 2000 dates missing, it gives me old articles about the release date of w2k. <g>

Unfortunately, I lost my internet (and phone) for a few days, so couldn't read these replies until now. Meanwhile, I've restored from a backup.

You're probably right, that there might be more serious problems than just a corrupted .cpl file. However, thanks for the pointer. I've never known what cpl files did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users