Sorry tg 1911, must have just posted after you.
If you need a tutorial on Ad-Aware, you will find one........Here
As for other anti-spyware programs,
* Avg Anti-Spyware 7.5
.....available from Here
Download and install AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5
1. After download, double click on the file to launch the install process.
2. Choose a language, click "OK" and then click "Next".
3. Read the "License Agreement" and click "I Agree".
4. Accept default installation path: C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5, click "Next", then click "Install".
5. After setup completes, click "Finish" to start the program automatically or launch AVG Anti-Spyware by double-clicking its icon on your desktop or in the system tray.
6. The main "Status" menu will appear. Select "Change state" to inactivate 'Resident Shield' and 'Automatic Updates'.
7. Then right click on AVG Anti-Spyware in the system tray and uncheck "Start with Windows".
8. Go to Start > Run and type: services.msc
* Press "OK".
* Click the "Extended tab" and scroll down the list to find AVG Anti-Spyware guard.
* When you find the guard service, double-click on it.
* In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Stop" button.
* From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Manual".
* Now click "Apply", then "OK" and close the Services window.
9. Select the "Update" button and click "Start update". Wait until you see the "Update succesfull message. Exit AVG Anti-Spyware when done.Do not run yet.
Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode
by doing the following :
* Restart your computer
* After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
* Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
* Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter
* Choose your usual account.
Scan with AVG Anti-Spyware as follows:
Note: DO NOT USE
the computer while AVG Anti-Spyware is scanning. If Explorer or other programs are open during the scan that means certain files will also be in use. Some malware will insert itself and hide in areas that are "protected" by Windows when the files are being used. This can hamper AVG Anti-Spyware's ability to clean properly and may result in reinfection.
1. Launch AVG Anti-Spyware, click on the "Scanner" button and choose the "Settings" tab.
* Under "How to act?", click on "Recommended actions" and choose "Quarantine" to set default action for detected malware.
* Under "How to Scan?" check all (default).
* Under "Possibly unwanted software" check all (default).
* Under "What to Scan?" make sure "Scan every file" is selected (default).
* Under "Reports" select "Automatically generate report after every scan" and UNcheck
"Only if threats were found".
2. Click the "Scan" tab to return to scanning options.
3. Click "Complete System Scan" to start.
4. When the scan has finished you will be presented with a list of infected objects found. Click "Apply all actions" to place the files in Quarantine.
IMPORTANT! Do not save the report before you have clicked the Apply all actions button. If you do, the log that is created will indicate "No action taken", making it more difficult to interpret the report. So be sure you save it only AFTER clicking the "Apply all actions" button?
5. Click on "Save Report" to view all completed scans. Click on the most recent scan you just performed and select "Save report as" - the default file name will be in date/time format as follows: Report-Scan-20060620-142816.txt. Save to your desktop. A copy of each report will also be saved in C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\Reports\
6. Exit AVG Anti-Spyware when done.Reboot into Normal mode
See if this helps.
If not......Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware
Free for Home Users
- Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
- An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
- If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
- Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
- Click the Scanning Control tab.
- Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
- Close browsers before scanning.
- Scan for tracking cookies.
- Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
- Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
- Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
- On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
- On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
- Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
- After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
- Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
- A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
- If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
- To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
- Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
- Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
- If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
- Click Close to exit the program.
Edited by Starbuck, 29 April 2007 - 02:17 PM.