Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Know Any Good *free* Computer Drawing Programs?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Master5270

Master5270

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

Because i cannot draw very well with paint, and i could use something better.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

About as close as you can get to Photoshop, for free:
GIMP

You need to download two programs for Windows in order to use the GIMP: the GIMP and the GTK runtime environment, which is available for download on the same site. The program won't work without it. Also, if you speak a language other than English, you can select it when you install GTK.

Here's some GIMP resources you might find useful:
GIMP Talk
GIMP Tutorials at gimp.org
GIMP Tutorials at pixel2life
GIMP User Group (GUG)
Grokking the GIMP
GIMP User Manual
Simple Animations

If you want to try your hand at 3D drawing (also free):
Blender

User's Guide
Full User's Guide

Here's some Blender resources you might find useful:
Blender wiki
Blender Artists Forums
Blender 3D: Tutorial Links List
blenderwars.com
planetannihilation.com
Blended Mind
Blend Age
From start to render
A List Of Tutorial Sites
Blender at pixel2life.com
Blender 3D: Noob to Pro
Digital Video Compositing in Blender
Blender Multimedia
Basic Parenting
blender3dfr
Creating Pixar-looking eyes in Blender
Mayang's Free Textures - textures for use in Blender
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:30 AM

If you are looking for something like Visio, then OpenOffice.org includes a drawing module in its free office suite.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:15 AM

If you are looking for a CAD type program try SketchUp 6. It is the freeware version of Google's SketchUp 6 Pro. It is a neat program.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

Hey Master5270 -'

There's also

Paint.net.

They even have a Forum - h e r e - in case you aren't a member of enough Forums already!

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

Let's revive this one, since it started as something requested to be much like MS Paint.

I wish I could find a freeware replacement nearly as similar to MS Paint. I have done several searches but all I find is too many complicated photo editing program, and several which require .NET Framework to be separately downloaded. MS Paint is easy to learn, and fairly easy to use. I would want something maybe just slightly better - just SLIGHTLY BETTER.

One of the things I find annoying about MS Paint is that you cannot change the default setting of foreground and background colors. You can change them in any user session, but there is no way to keep them SET for when the user later opens Paint again. They always go back to foreground = black, background = white. As a replacement, I do not want anything like Photoshop or Elements or GIMP or Paint.net; just something about as simple as MS Paint, but better.

What you suggest, I'll try to read their information.

#7 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

www2.ambientdesign.com/files/install_artrage_2.6.0_starter.exe

Artrage

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

cafejose and code13, please notice that the last date posted prior to cafejose's was the first of May, 2007.Posted Image

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

Back in August you made it clear you did not want any of the complicated programs. I don't think you will find anything as simple as Paint, other than children's graphic editors. Even the simplest editors are geared towards photos, not bitmap editing. I'm not sure why the default colours would be such an issue for you, each is only a mouse click away. It's easy enough to fill the background with the selected colour (select colour, fill tool, click on image). What other things don't you like about it?

I would have to agree with the Paint.net suggestion as an alternative. It's very close to MS Paint in simplicity but BETTER.

As a footnote, I still use the very original Paint (16 colours!) because I developed my own art method based on pixel editing. I run that in Windows 95 compatibility mode.

#10 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

August? No, I made no posts about this in August. At least not in 2012 year.

The plan is to draw and write in something like MS Paint using a graphical digitizing tablet. No plans for photo editing. MS Paint will work, so far as I find. I have tried Sumopaint and Pixlr online applications but learning is complicated, and I am still confused about Layers. Unclear is, do I need to know how to use or deal with Layers - maybe I wouldn't need them.

I have not yet tried Paint.net but would like to try. What stops me is knowing that it will force me to download and install some other Microsoft files, .NET Framework. I yet may try Paint.net on my newer computer which already has .NET Framework, but currently I'm using an older computer which has only 17 MB free space but no .NET Framework. This older computer is an older and slower one.

When drawing or writing onto MS Paint, the stylus pressure either sets or not sets a pixel in the image field; this might be an advantage, but I'm not sure yet. A program which allows for varying stylus pressure for thickness control might be better, so this is one reason why MS Paint might be more limited than what I would like - maybe. The desire for background and foreground color settings being changeable options is for convenience, so I do not need to make those changes each time I open the program. Default colors other than black & white can be more pleasant and for some people, more comfortable to view. For example, I might always want the alternative Paint program to open with background = black, and foreground = bright green. When I close, and later reopen the program, I want those same colors without making the two clicks to set them.

Hopefully this is now explained better. There are still two known programs to try: Artweaver, and the ask suggested, Artrage Starter. Other suggestions are still worth investigating -anyone?

#11 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Your August comment was in 2010!

If HDD space is an issue then I can see .NET apps are a problem. No reason why you cannot try new apps on the new PC. There are many reviews to browse if you google "paint programs". Look for an app that has an interface similar to Paint.net.

Though I have no experience, I cannot envisage in my wildest dreams that MS Paint works properly with a graphic tablet. For starters, MS paint has no anti-aliasing, transparency or feathering. If you draw a curve or diagonal line, it is made up of solid pixels. With anti-aliasing in other apps, semi-transparent colouring is added to smooth the edit (as seen by the eye). The spray tool in Paint sprays solid pixels, not a mixture of varying size, transparency and feathered edges. Paint is incredibly limited.

If you take the time to learn a more capable program, you will wonder what you have been doing for the last few years. The difference will be night and day. I would initially steer clear of the more advanced apps like The Gimp which are not very friendly.

To illustrate how layers can help, think about moving stuff in Paint. Let's say you add text but later decide you want to shift it slightly. In Paint you would have to cut and paste, then repair the area that has been cut. In a layer program with the text on a new layer, you grab the text and move it where you want. The background is unchanged. Comparing to proper painting - add a sheet of glass over the top of a painting and add some new stuff on the glass. If you don't like it, remove the glass or change it's position. Let's say you want to add a fog effect. In a new layer, use an airbrush tool to spray on a cloudy effect, then make the layer fairly transparent so the background shows through but not fully. Fog. Don't like it, remove the layer.

If your aspirations include a tablet, then more advanced apps are essential.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users