Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Issues?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

For some reason my computer has been acting a bit strange. I cannot switch users because whenever I try, my system beeps and freezes. In addition, I cannot use system restore because every time I try, it says "Restoration Incomplete" and that my computer cannot be restored to a previous point.

Can someone help me?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

It is possible that malware is causing the problems. Best to eliminate that as a cause first. Suggest you do scans with whatever antispyware and antivirus you have installed on your computer. Here are two more.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting into Windows Safe Mode
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
(pre-Vista OS's)
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

detected: riskware Invader Running process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
detected: riskware Invader Running process: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
detected: riskware Invader Running process: \SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
detected: riskware Invader Running process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
detected: riskware Invader Running process: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

When I scanned with Kaspersky it found nothing, but the following processes were detected via Proactive Defense. Spy Sweeper detected nothing. Any more advice?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,402 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

After reading info on Kaspersky's forum, I seriously doubt that it is malware that it is noting. I don't know if those two problems are related. What percentage of free space do you have on your HDD?

Assuming you are using an administrator's account, run chkdsk.
Chkdsk is a Microsoft disk checking program. It checks and corrects hard drive sector issues and well as correcting file and free space problems on the disk.

Open "My Computer", RIGHT click on the C drive icon, choose "Properties". When that loads, click on the "Tools" tab, then click on the "Check Now" button in the "Error Checking" section. When that little window loads, place a CHECK in BOTH boxes, then click on "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer, so......Restart the computer. Error Checking will run automatically after the restart and it locks you out from doing anything until it's finished. It takes a little time to perform the task but after it's finished,(assume 30-60 minutes) it will restart into Windows.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:32 AM

well I have 78% free space and i will run the chk disk now and report back when it is complete
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#6 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

well I have 78% free space and i will run the chk disk now and report back when it is complete
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#7 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

wait i haven't done the chk disk yet but i have a question:

are you sure that the processes blocked by Kaspersky's Proactive Defense are innocent, safe, normal, Windows processes? and if they are, could the reason that system restore is not working is because those processes are blocked?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,402 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

Kaspersky would not of blocked them unless you told it to. What you posted doesn't mention that they were blocked. I doubt your computer would work at all if they were.

#9 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:46 PM

Same issues even after Chk Disk! I still cannot switch users nor can I use System Restore.
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,402 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

There is some discussion in the link below concerning the Restore problem. After Norton antivirus was turned off, system restore worked. Kaspersky, or another security program, could be causing the problem. I say could be. Easy enough to shut it down and try restore.
There are also some links to Microsoft articles concerning other causes. What caused you to want to restore? Was it the switch user problem?
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...incomplete.html

Were there any problems running chkdsk?

#11 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

first and foremost: you may be right in the kaspersky blocking part because i have just checked now and when kaspersky's proactive defense "detected" the "threats", it blocked it as well.

i will try to disable kaspersky and do system restore when i get the chance (i cannot right now)

the reason i wished to restore was yes, the switch user issues, but also that my computer's performance seemed slightly lackluster, and the antivirus and antispyware programs did not detect anything so i will just restore back to another point where the performance was fast

one more thing: you are positive that the blocked processes are safe, correct? i do not want to unleash anything stupid onto my computer...
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,402 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:33 PM

From what I have read about the proactive defense, it really isn't meant for the average user. Am I positive you don't have malware on your comp? no. The best I can say is that if it was my computer I would have no problem reactivating those files. If you want to check further I would encourage you to post a Hijack This log and let the experts take a look. You might be surprised what they might find.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Edited by buddy215, 30 April 2007 - 03:49 AM.

#13 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:30 PM

I disabled Kaspersky and tried System Restore again; no difference. When I attempt to switch users, I still get a beep sound and my computer freezes. I did use HijackThis and Xraypc before - I did not see anything suspicious, but then again I am not an expert, like you mentioned. Should I really post the HijackThis log? I have already submitted one recently for my other computer just for a checkup; nothing serious. So should I post another one?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:40 PM

Try checking your Event Viewer for errors. Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

In particular, check the System and Application logs (the log titles are in the left hand pane and the resulting logs are displayed in the right hand pane when you click on the section in the left hand pane.

Let us know of any errors that occurred around the time of the freeze.

Edited by usasma, 30 April 2007 - 06:40 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

i intentionally switched users to bring the error again, shut off my computer, and then rebooted and checked the event log. There does not appear to be any error related to that.

how many errors should there be? i had quite a few with msi installer, service control manager, and ESENT

again, there does not seem to be any error recorded during the time of my computer's freeze
Albert Einstein

Not really!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users