Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Upgrade Question

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 shady_inc

shady_inc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:50 AM

I currently have PC with foll. config:

128mb DDR RAM(133mhz frequency)
Intel i845g motherboard with 32mb onboard graphics solution
40gb hard disk
intel celeron 2.4ghz processor
Windows XP SP2 Professional Edition

I wanna upgrade my PC so that i can play games like half-life 2,NFS Carbon etc.my budget is around 15k Rs..so what shud i upgrade to,as i have no idea in this regard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:09 AM

Rs?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

RAM would do...
512 would be minimal to me :thumbsup:
but im not quite sure about Half-life 2
check its OS requirements to see more info
just make sure you have thesame type so your motherboard can handle it
in this case i see your RAM type as DDR

Edited by Commander Gman, 29 April 2007 - 06:52 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:44 AM

I'd suggest (in this order):
1) 512 mB of RAM
2) a video card with 128 mB of onboard memory
3) another 512 mB of RAM (for a total of 1 gB)
4) a larger hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 shady_inc

shady_inc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:19 AM

thnx for replying.
but i wanna know whether i need to change my processor or not.same about motherboard?
shud i go in for a motherboard wid onboard graphics or an independent gfx card.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:47 AM

thanks for replying.
but i wanna know whether i need to change my processor or not.same about motherboard?
should i go in for a motherboard with on board graphics or an independent gfx card.

You processor is fine. 1 gb of RAM will increase your performance more effectively than a marginal processor upgrade.
No. You will be better of with a stand alone graphics card than an on board graphic. On board graphic use system RAM instead dedicated RAM.
In my opinion the increase in RAM, to 1 gb, and a dedicated 128mb or 256mb nVidia based video card would give you the biggest performance increase for the money spent.

$80 to $100 on 1 gb of DDR RAM
$80 to $100 for a video card
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 shady_inc

shady_inc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:38 AM

ok thnx :-)
one more question...does the choice of gfx card depend on the motherboard??i really like GeForce 7600GS.But will my intel i845g motherboard support it??also on tomshardware i read it is a AGP card n not a PCI-E(whatever that means :thumbsup:)which one is better ??

#8 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:56 AM

The 7600GS should be fine with that mobo.

The question of AGP vs PCI-E is not one of performance per-se, but rather which interface your mobo supports. They are different slot sizes into which the gfx card fits. PCI-E is the newest interface.

I was unable to find the mobo on Newegg, maybe someone else can tell you which interface your mobo supports.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#9 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:54 AM

From my search on Google I find your mobo will take a 4x agp card, max 2gig ram pc1600/2100 dimm. So 1gig of ram will work good, and find a AGP 4x video card. Newegg.com has some. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

Actually it is a little more to it than just the interface of either the PCIe vs AGP. PCIe is much faster than AGP, especially AGP x4. The top end motherboards, that still support AGP, are able to accept AGP x8 video adapter cards.
If your motherboard had a AGP and PCIe slot you would be better to use the PCIe interface.

AGP Slot

Posted Image

PCI-e Slot

Posted Image

#11 shady_inc

shady_inc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:16 AM

so this means i can use both AGP as well as PCI-e gfx cards on my mobo.....but i shud prefer the PCI-e one(correct me if wrong)

oh and i decided to get a 1GB RAM{ 533Mhz }

i got a detailed diagram of my mobo here

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-51759

and detailed info about my pc here

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-51760

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:28 AM

No you cannot use PCIe on your computer. It dos not have a PCIe slot. I was attempting to clear that up with my last post. You can ONLY use an AGP card in your computer. You computer has a AGP x4 slot and that is it.

#13 shady_inc

shady_inc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

thnx a lot for helping :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

i finally decided for GEForce 7600 GT with AGP interface+1 gb RAM
one final question: IS 1 1 gb RAM or 2 512 MB RAMs better???

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

With DDR RAM you won't notice any difference between them - so I'd stick with the cheapest.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:15 PM

Good choice of graphics! I'd say just get a stick of 1gb, but it doesn't really matter. That way you can just leave the 128mb stick in there too (even though it won't make really any difference). Also if you ever decide to get another 1gb stick to max it out at 2gb total ram. By that time though I would say you would need to get a new computer. Hope this helps!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users