Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scary Ticking Noise Coming From Inside Inside Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nocturnal Animal

Nocturnal Animal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:51 AM

I wrote the word inside twice?! Woops. lol

My laptop is clicking... ticking... not sure what word it is... It would sound like a time bomb if the clicks were closer together.

This is like the 5th time this thing has done this, it doesn't happen much. It's an HP Pavilion dv9000 on XP, I've only had it since December. I'm about to flip it over to see where the sound is closest to. I'm positive it's not coming from the speakers, I've had them muted for a while. It doesn't sound like the hard drive either, it's not that kind of click. The noises come at no particular intervals, like from between 3 seconds and 30 seconds, and they go away as soon as I restart. I don't see anything in common with what programs I've been on each time it's happened. This time I was playing the game Toontown. (Don't ask lol..)

Has anybody had this happen or have any clue what it is? I'd try to talk to the HP "Customer Care" people but it's too frustrating.
----
Okay I just flipped it over and I have an awkward question. It's about one of the symbols on the bottom of the laptop. (it's on one of the panels that you can unscrew.) Does the symbol with three CD-like discs on top of each other mean processor or hard drive? There are two compartments like this down there (One labeled 1 and one labeled 2 with this symbol)and it sounds like the noise is coming from the 1st one. I have two hard drives (one is a recovery drive or something like that) and a Core 2 Processor (which means there's 2 right? I'm not very smart here.) Thanks...

Edited by Nocturnal Animal, 29 April 2007 - 03:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:20 AM

If it is a new one i would return it. Meddling around on your own will certainly have an impact on the guarantee HP is giving you

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:05 AM

Hi Nocturnal Animal, welcome to BC. :thumbsup:

Core 2 Processor (which means there's 2 right?)

No, the core 2 duo is a single processor.

I have two hard drives (one is a recovery drive or something like that)

The second drive is optional. It is not a recovery drive. The laptop uses a RAID configuration provided the 2nd optional drive is in there. System recovery would lie on a hidden partiton on HD1.
To remove them, remove the covers then pull up on the mylar tab. The drive and bracket will come out as one assembly. Remove the bracket to replace the drive.
In any case, the clicking noise is the harddrive and you should backup anything important immediately.
If it's under warranty as fozzie has suggested, then let an authorized dealer fix it. They will not be responsible for lost data so that part is your responsibility.

#4 Nocturnal Animal

Nocturnal Animal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:36 PM

Oh, I was just confused because under My Computer there's a drive called D for HP_RECOVERY, making two. And under dxdiag, for processor, it says 2 CPUs... So confusing. I'll try to find a way to backup all my files before I send it in... Will they fix multiple things if I send it in once? The CD drive has a hard time reading DVDs and the modem always connects at 28.8 kbps no matter what I change the settings to... What did I do to this poor thing!!!

#5 CuStOmCoMpUtErWoRkS

CuStOmCoMpUtErWoRkS

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

if this is like its brothers before it this is a KNOWN HP problem with the motherboard. HP made me get replacement fans and it still ticked. Then finally one support guy said "yes we know there is a problem in the mobo but you are out of warranty"I said "well the unit was not out of warranty when you made me replace all the fans, and your dept said that is what it was" and the guy (my 'merican name Bob) said "I can not fix it" So although I got the warranty fix money from HP my customer still has a really big paperweight. His also gets "white screen" after 20 mins or so. Now even though the guy got his machine to us in time they expect me to come back and tell my client "sorry but you need a $495.00w/exchange part" I am still fighting with them 5 months later. So how I am fixing this problem is I sold him a ACER 9810(ROCKS!) and parted out the dv on ebay. I got almost 300 for the lcd alone. So even though HP refuses to help their own I made my customer happy another way.

I would send it back to HP and not take no for an answer. They can not wait to string you along until warranty is over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users