Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Criticly Low Diskspace?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 techno_89

techno_89

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:05 AM

this is a problem i've been having for a while now, it seems as if my disk space is slowly dissapearing.
a popup balloon will tell me that i have criticly low disk space and that i need to free some space, so i will do that and after a litle bit (a few day's) it will tell me that i have criticly low diskspace again, i dont download much, i just download music. i want to delete everything i dont need except for a few things but when i go to
the control pannel to delete programs i dont know what i need and dont need. would deleting everything help? or is there a bigger problem on my hands? i am running windows xp home edition.

PS. backdoor trojans also seem to like my computer, they alway's show up, i dont if that has anything to do with it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:24 AM

To get a grip on what is eating your disk space please do the following :

Please download JAM Software - TreeSize Professional - Hard Disk Space Manager .... This is a small program which gives you an excact idea what is where taking the space away.

Do you regularely clean out your computer, I use two programs :

1) Ccleaner

Download install and update Ccleaner
Attention : the installation package comes with the Yahoo toolbar
if you do not want that you have to, untick the box accepting it during installation process.

After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

and ATF Cleaner

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune. (This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only)Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Furthermore what kind of safety programs do you use?

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,621 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:54 AM

Techno-89--the last line of your post is the most telling. I suggest you post a Hijack This log.

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

I didn't see the last line sorry for that. please follow buddy's instructions.

#5 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:47 AM

Well just a warning:
If your diskspace is all used up (Particularly drive C) ,your system may not run
so be careful :thumbsup:

Edited by Commander Gman, 29 April 2007 - 06:48 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#6 techno_89

techno_89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:41 AM

alrighty, thanks for the info. i'll post a hijackthis log in a bit.

#7 techno_89

techno_89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

i went through all the preporations and everything, then downloaded the hijackthis program but it wont let me open it.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,621 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

If you have a problem getting HijackThis to run, try renaming it to something else like "myscan". If needed you can also change the .EXE to .BAT, .COM, .PIF, or .SCR. All all are valid for renaming it. Locate the file and right click on it and choose rename.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 techno_89

techno_89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:31 PM

heres what pop ups when i try to run it......

"this applocation has failed to start becous MSVBVM60.DLL was not found. re-installing
the application may fix this problem" ive re-installd it twice, but the same thing happens.
and i took buddy's advice and renamed it

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,621 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:39 PM

Click on the link below to download the file you need.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloadfaq.html

#11 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

how did you re-install MSVBVM60.DLL ?

#12 techno_89

techno_89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:08 PM

i re-installed the hijackthis program.

#13 techno_89

techno_89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

thanks i got it, i've posted it in the hijackthis section.

#14 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:43 PM

Don't make any changes to your system now you have posted a HJT log until you get a "clean bill of health "from the person helping you in the HJt forum.

#15 techno_89

techno_89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:01 PM

alright

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users