Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nweissma

nweissma

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:48 AM

re http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-ad-aware-2007-to-remove-spyware/

several "next questions" were not addressed.

what happens after the objects - let's say there are 70 - are quarantined, and it is found that one or more is essential. how do i identify the essential ones, and how do i restore them?

how can i identify the essential objects before i quarantine them?

the tutorial differed from the current version of ad-aware in one important case: Step #4, section 2.1.4 of the tutorial reads, "include alternate data stream details in log file."

Ad-Aware's window now reads, "Alternate Data Streams --

{x-red/check-green} Don't log streams smaller than ____ bytes"
{x-red/check-green} Don't log ADS with the following name(s)

by default - and i left them with the default value - is (x-red).

Edited by nweissma, 29 April 2007 - 12:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:15 AM

When items are quarantined, they are put into a "vault", where they can have no interaction with your Operating System.
They are basically just sitting there, with no where to go. :thumbsup:
They are stored in what's called Archives.
Each one has a date next to it, that corresponds to the date you quarantined them.
The quarantine list can be found by opening Ad-aware, and on the main page, click Open quarantine list, located next to the Objects quarantined entry.

Whatever Ad-aware finds, quarantine it.
If after a couple of weeks, your computer shows no adverse affects, it's safe to delete the quarantined items.
To do that:
Open Ad-aware, and click Open quarantine list.
In the window that opens, click the Archive that you want to delete, to highlight it.
Right-click, and select Delete Archive.

If you have questions about an entry, you can ask about it here, or Google it.
If it's something you need, for another program to function properly, you can add it to the Ignore list, so in future scans, it won't be flagged as a problem.
To do that:
After the scan is complete, locate the entry.
Right-click the entry, and select Add Selected to Ignore list.

If you've mistakenly quarantined something you need, you can remove it from quarantine.
To do that:
Open Ad-aware, and click Open quarantine list.
In the window that opens, click the Archive that contains the entry you want to restore, to highlight it.
Right-click, and select Restore Selected.
This will restore the entire Archive, even the bad entries.
Re-scan with Ad-aware, in the results list, add the entry you wanted to restore to you Ignoe list, and quarantine the rest.

If you find that you've mistakenly added something to your Ignoe list, you can remove it.
To do that:
Open Ad-aware, and click Open ignore list, next to the Objects in ignore list entry.
In the window that opens, put a check next to the item you want to remove from the list, then click the Remove button, at the bottom.

Alternate Data Streams defaults, are fine.

I hope this helps, and I didn't confuse you more, than you already were. :flowers:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:50 AM

may I bring to the Mods (and others' )attention

you may now notice that the download link in this apparent adaware 2006 thread tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-ad-aware-2007-to-remove-spyware/

actually goes to

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php which is adaware 2007

if that tutorial IS discussing adaware 2006 then this link at present http://www.download.com/3405-8022-5153545.html goes TO an adaware 2006 download source (and finding THEM is getting harder now too :trumpet:
)
( and if I may also clarify; at this point in time adaware 2007 will NOT run on windows 98se NOR is compatible with vista :flowers: )

I THINK I have previewed all the links correctly :thumbsup:

Edited by ruby1, 30 August 2007 - 08:09 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:01 PM

Lavasoft changed all the links for Ad-aware SE Personal Edition so they would automatically be redirected to their new version shortly after it was released.

Ad-aware SE is also available here and you download the updates manually from lavasoft.com/support.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 katana

katana

MRU Expert

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:35 AM

( and if I may also clarify; at this point in time adaware 2007 will NOT run on windows 98se NOR is compatible with vista :thumbsup: )

It is now Vista (32 bit) compatible

http://www.lavasoft.com/company/blog/?p=257

If you’ve made the switch to Windows Vista, your favorite anti-spyware is now compatible to make sure you are protected against the latest security threats that will inevitably sneak into your computer…and into your life!

windows 98se is still out in the cold :flowers:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users