Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Music Troubles

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mfc90125

mfc90125

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:29 PM

Greetings -

I would like to share the music folder on my desktop, which is currently labeled as D:, with the laptops in my home, which is currently labeled Y:. I have networked my machines using an SBC modem/router combo, and can see the drive each time I open MY COMPUTER - it is currently labeled "music on XXXXXcomputer." Unfortunately, I am experiencing two problems when I attempt to access this drive on my laptops.

The first problem is that I receive a very slow response time between selecting any music folder on the desktop and actually seeing that folder appear on the laptop. The problem persists if I attempt to use the BACK or FORWARD buttons.

The second problem I experience is that the playlists I am sharing on the D: drive are not able to play on the laptops. Evidently, Windows Media thinks the music is contained on D: drive and not the Y: drive.

I am currently using Norton Anti-virus 2007, Zone Alarm freeware, and have disabled the Windows Firewall.

I know there must be an error-free way to accomplish my goal of streaming music without moving all of the music into the SHARED FOLDER or duplicating the files to that folder.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:15 AM

A couple of things to start with:
1) Establish identical user accounts (with identical passwords) on each system. Don't rename an account, that won't help.
2) Using Windows Explorer on the laptop, select "Map Network Drive" from the Tools menu item - then browse to the D: drive on the desktop and select it. You can even choose what drive letter to assign to it (may require renaming other drive letters in Disk Management if you want it to be the D: drive).
3) Make sure that the music folders are shared on the Desktop (right click on the folder and select "Sharing")

Slow response time with network tasks only is usually an indicator that Windows is looking for a network resource that doesn't exist. I'd suggest checking around to see if there's anything obvious that's causing this. FWIW - the mapped network drive (in step 2 above) should help to alleviate this.

Edited by usasma, 29 April 2007 - 07:16 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mfc90125

mfc90125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

Thanks John - when I attempt to map the drive, I receive "XXXX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource." I can see the desktop, but it will not allow me to access any files. However, I can access my SHARED DOCUMENTS folder just fine on both computers - actually, this folder appears twice when I attempted to map the MUSIC folder...

Any thoughts?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:50 PM

Sounds like a permissions issue that Windows doesn't like. Try putting an account on the laptop that's the same name and password as the account on the desktop. This (it's called "account mirroring" BTW) should enable you to access the files on the desktop.

When using a Workgroup, the default access is done using the permissions assigned to the Guest account. In the event that there's a file/folder that the Guest doesn't have access to - then you won't be able to access it.

There's more to try after this, but give this a whirl first. It often solves the problems without the need to go mucking around in the security stuff.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mfc90125

mfc90125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

When I changed the name of Administrator to match the name of the desktop user account, I lost all of my settings, including favorites and access to documents I was working on using the Administrator account. When I went to change the name back to Administrator, I receive "Administrator Already Exists."

Moreover, I have lost the original conection I had to my MUSIC folder, and was unable to map the drive.

How do I get my original settings back?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:22 PM

It's likely that you account still exists, but you cannot log in to it because of the second account.

In XP Home you'll have to boot into Safe Mode to access the account (and you can change things back once in there).

In XP Pro you can press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice at the Welcome screen to login as the Administrator.

Once the Administrator account is fixed, ADD another account and give it the same name as the account on the desktop and the same password. Just changing the name of an account won't work - the underlying account name remains unchanged when you just change the name.

#7 mfc90125

mfc90125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

Ok - that worked - thanks :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users