Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need A Firewire Card Recommendation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:09 PM

The title pretty much says it. My daughter got an iPod for Christmas, and now that she's home from college I can no longer avoid upgrading her PC with a firewire card. Are there any specific cards/chipsets that I should look for -- or avoid?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:18 PM

I thought that I Pods used usb 2.0 starting about january of 2004. Here is a link to newegg for usb 2 cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....me=Add-On+Cards

and one for firewire cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....me=Add-On+Cards

personally every firewire card or usb card that I have added to computers have worked correctly, so I have no brand preference.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

You don't need a firewire card for an iPod as long as you've got a cord with a USB connector on it. There are several different cords available - even one that has a USB and a Firewire connector on different cords (we use that one to charge the iPod from the wall charger (with the firewire) while we synch the iPod with iTunes via the USB connector).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

Guys, thanks for straightening me out on this. Even for a person my age I'm way behind the curve when it comes to digital music etc.

It seems that the cable costs about as much as a firewire card. I'm leaning toward the cable simply because the PC in question has a USB port on the front.

Cheers --

Dave

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

I've only learned about the iPod stuff over the last 6 months or so - and then only because we have to troubleshoot them at work before we send 'em out for repair.

IMO, Apple will soak you for all they can get out of you - the products are way overpriced!

A couple of other notes:

1) Plugging the iPod into the computer to charge takes a very, very long time - and dead batteries are a major problem that we see with them. Make sure to charge it using the wall charger if at all possible.

2) If the iPod locks up, press (and hold) the middle button on the wheel and the top of the wheel. Hold them for 10-20 seconds and the iPod should reboot - this fixes a lot of problems that we see.

3) Ensure that the iPod software is updated. The easiest way to do this is through iTunes.

4) If all else fails, backup your music and use the Restore feature in iTunes to reset the iPod.

5) If iTunes doesn't install, download it again. We've seen a lot of problems with bad downloads in the last week or two.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the tips, Usasma. This is a gift from her brother, who lives 300 miles away, so I'm sure it will fall on me to do any troubleshooting that may be needed.

I agree with you about the Apple pricing. They've got great products, but they overvalue their superiority. Twenty percent more I can see, and would pay. But I won't pay double the price of a PC with comparable specs, which is what they are getting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users