Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Install Failure

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

I have Ubuntu 6.06 on a CD provided by Canonical. I've used it to successfully install Ubuntu on an older laptop, so must assume the CD is O.K. Now I'm trying to do the same thing on my desktop, a seven year-old Compaq running W98SE (which is working O.K., no known issues, 128MB of RAM) but installation fails repeatedly.

BIOS is set to boot from the CD. When starting, I'm greeted with the Compaq logo and then the disk spins-up. About half the time, nothing happens except what seems to be a re-start with the process repeating itself one or two times. The other times, I get the Ubuntu screen giving me choices, and when I select 'Start or Install', the Linux Kernel loads and I end up with a full screen of white letters on a black background, ending with the following;

[ 57.005276] <07> Kernel panic-not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
[ 57.005415] _

The last character is a flashing cursor, but it will not accept any entries. At that point, the only way out is to use the power switch.

I really want to get Ubuntu on this machine in a dual-boot mode. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users