Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cramming Pics Onto Floppies

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:39 PM

Hi, I'm not too PC-literate but have discovered I can get more pics onto my 1.44 floppies if I change them from bmp to jpeg, but is there anything else I can do to cram even more onto floppies?
I'm Win XP Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:41 PM

You can use a program like winzip or winrar to zip them. this will have the only impact there is no direct access

#3 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

...Why are you using floppy disks? Save yourself some trouble and burn them onto CD-RWs. (You can also save money as CDs cost less per MB than a floppy disk).

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:01 PM

Floppies are going the way of 8-tracks, so you should really consider using a CD; the price of CD burners is very reasonable.

Another thing you can do to increase the number of pics you can save to a floppy is to crop them. There are many rather easy applications that will allow you to do this; Irfanview comes to mind, because at the same time you can both crop the picture and reduce the size (this also reduces the quality, but if you are dealing with very large files, a ten percent reduction does little harm to the picture and saves you some file space.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:22 PM

Some folks recommend that once you copy your digital images off of your camera or it's memory card, you save those original, raw images to a more permanent storage medium than your HD.

If, for example, those original images are "jpg" files, (mine are from my Casio digital), then cropping them, or reducing their compression to make the file size smaller, or saving them in another file type, or any other manipulation of the image may, and most likely will, also reduce the color depth and number of pixels of the image.

I backup, or copy, the originals to CD, and never edit anything but a copy.

While I agree with jgweed that some editing may not make a lot of difference, with CD's as cheap as they are, why not preserve the original image?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:24 PM

agree with jgweed on the CD thing. I would also consider looking into a USB Drive a 1GB goes for about $25USD here and hold as much as something like 1000 floppy disks. Thats a big saving in money space and time.

Posted Image

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:34 PM

If you go the CD-R route, make sure you use the multisession mode so you can add picture to the CD till it is full.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:14 PM

Just to comment on what fozzie mentioned, about zipping the images.
If you images are in the .jpeg fromat, then zipping them will have neglegable results, on reducing the file size, since .jpeg is already a compressed format.
Just as a test, I zipped a folder of .jpegs, using WinZip.
Size before zipping - 192 MB
Size after zipping - 191 MB

Now if you were to zip .bmp files, there would be a noticible difference in file size, since .bmp is a non-compressed format.

Also, as jgweed said, reducing the quality of an image by as little as 10%, using IrfanView, does little harm to the image, and saves some file space.
In fact, quite a bit.
It will reduce a 2.15 MB file, to 1.04 MB.
As you can see, that's a file size reduction of over 50%, which is quite a bit, when doing a large number of images.
There's a tutorial on how to do that, here:
Reducing An Image's File Size By Reducing It's Image Quality Using Irfanview

Edited by tg1911, 28 April 2007 - 11:19 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:25 AM

Thanx guys I went with the Irfan slider and it worked a treat, I reduced the pic quality and have crammed 6 floppies-worth of pics onto just 2 flops.. :)
Its amazing just how much you can decrease the quality slider without noticeably affecting the pic

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:47 AM

You're welcome, MickinPlymouthUK.
Glad to hear it worked out, for you. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:12 AM

Also thanks for the lesson tg :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users