Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP gone crazy!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rixzer

rixzer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 14 January 2005 - 01:08 PM

Hey

Decided to do a bit of a clean up yesterday. Just deleting old files, virus scan, adware scan, disk defrag etc. Since then its all gone crazy. After rebooting i noticed my two disk drives weren't showing up in my computer and modem wasn't installed. A PCI interface thing was also uninstalled (not too sure what the is). In the device manager it explains that the drivers are up to date and working but the hardware cannot be detected.

In an effort to get back to a good state i tried System restore and on two different restore points it failed. Next i tried windows update. Havn't done it in awhile so i needed about 16 updates. When they were downloaded it said it had to abort as the system was in an unstable state? GOT THAT RIGHT FOR A CHANGE!

One thing i ain't too sure about is when i was doing the virus scan it reported a virus found in a compressed file. I chose to delete the file, probably a stupid thing to do but there ya go. The file was bridge-c(1).cab or something close to that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mooseifer

mooseifer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 03:20 PM

Have you tried going to the quarantine on your virus protection and undoing it.

#3 rixzer

rixzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:33 PM

The antivirus software i use won't delete or repair archives so i deleted it my self. I've checked the net for info on any bridge-(1) file an i doesn't seem to be a system file. Any ideas how i could do a fresh install of windows without the use of my disc drives? Is there anyway to get them going in dos or something or even in windows?

#4 rixzer

rixzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:39 PM

Im fairly sure i have a virus now but theres nothing showing on the virus scans. when i go into task manager and processes theres all sorts of weird processes running such as svchost.exe running about 4 times. weird! any ideas

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:45 PM

Multiple instances of svchost.exe running are normal. If you wish to see what the processes you have running are about, click the link in my signature and look them up on the task list. I would not worry about these for now until you figure out your other problem though.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#6 rixzer

rixzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:58 PM

Bad example. there is a weird one tho. systerm.exe. i can't find much about that so i ain't too sure if its a legit process.also if i leave the computer idle for up to 20 mins theres constantly data been sent to an from the internet.

cheers

Edited by rixzer, 14 January 2005 - 08:12 PM.

#7 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:32 PM

A google search of systerm.exe and bridge-c.cab bring up a few results, all of them in HijackThis logs. My advice is to go to this thread and follow the instructions on how to post a HijackThis log and post it in the HijackThis logs and analysis forum where someone may help you clean up your computer.

The file (bridge-c) appears to be part of some ad/spyware and you do not need to get it back, you just need to get rid of the rest of the garbage that came with it.

Edit: ooops, forgot the url http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/956/how-to-submit-a-hijackthis-log/

Edited by Ronbo, 14 January 2005 - 08:33 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#8 rixzer

rixzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:38 PM

Thanks a lot. Ill give that a whack now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users